Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having always had 65-68 stangs in the past, the 73 is still new to me. Quick question -- Do I need to drop the fuel tank to change the fuel sending unit? Thanks! ::

·
Registered
838 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the sender is in the top of the tank on the 73 so I would say yes you need to drop it.
But I could be wrong it has been a while since I worked on the 71-73 stangs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No.. The sending unit is on the lower drivers side. You need to drain the fuel and use a wooden or brass punch to rotate the sender ring (dont use steel as you may get a spark, not good with the fuel around.
Then just slip in the new sender and use the brass punch to rotate the ring.

Did it on my 72 vert a few weeks back.
...Paul

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the sender is in the top of the tank on the 73 so I would say yes you need to drop it.
You're thinking of the vapor seperator...

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I had to do mine twice last year, I sprayed the lock ring with pb blaster, put in new unit with plastic float---lasted a month , got one with brass float---works fine ---plastic was full of pinholes, ohio mustang has brass ones I believe,the tank does not have to come down---just siphon most of the gas out---pretty easy unit to change

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hmmm! I've got a 67 fastback with a new unit sitting in my garage waitng for me to climb under. I never replaced a fuel sending unit and I have a quick, probably stupid question-----Does the sender ring have a regular screw thread(like a large nut), or does it have a limited travel type (like a gas cap lockdown)? I just want to know what to expect, since I'm not too keen on working under the car with those gas fumes. The faster I get out of there, the better!!!
Thanks,
jay67fast

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
It's like a gas cap, about 1/6 of a rotation to lock and unlock the ring. Just be sure to lube the O-ring before installation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts