Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need to know how to remove the fuel sending unit on my 66 I just got the car and I am 15 and doing the work myself.

It is leaking and I have a new o-ring gasket.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
It is not that hard, if your tank has a drain plug it would be wise to drain whatever fuel is still in the tank. If no drain plug get a pan of some sort to catch the fuel that will come out when you release the tension.

A brass drift pin or punch is best, something that will not spark when hit with a steel hammer. In a pinch a piece of wood might work. The collar around the sending unit unscrews, use light taps to get it started. It is the standard right hand thread, be sure your hitting it in the correct direction. A few taps should get it started and then it will unscrew fairly easily.

I hope that you have a new O-ring for the replacement sender, I used a little vaseline to help hold it in position. Installation is the reverse of removal.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Pay VERY close attention to what 66hertzclone said about using a non-sparking tool. One spark could start a devastating fire and if you're under the car when it happens.....don't take any chances.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I need to do this on my 68, and I don't remember from the last time - but does it line up only one way? When I replaced it many years ago it never would read "full", but only 3/4. Does it need to be rotated or was the sender faulty? It doesn't work at all now, so I am replacing it anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts