Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok experts - which is the better protection for my gas tank (1966)? The Tank top for $160 or Tank Armor for $230? The Tank Top will look just like the gas tank when installed and the Tank Armor looks just like some sheet metal laid on top. The Tank Armor is 11-gauge steel and the Tank Top is 20-guage. Opinions???

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tank is exposed to numerous negative situations...possible puntures, dents, etc. Also some added strength to that section of car can always help.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
The mention of Fuel cell was appropriate as it provides a high degree of safety. The outer shell is aluminum. The inner bladder is a tough rubber type material that's designed to "give" in the unlikely event of a real ender or side collision. Inside the bladder is a fibrous foam material designed to prevent the fuel from "sloshing about", so to speak, in that unlikely encounter with a collision. i ran one years ago during my SCCA days and recently swapped a 20 gal unit for a 22 gallon EFI style this past fall.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
So, you want protection.....
Go to Hobby Lobby and purchase a sheet of foam board. Trim it to cover the top your tank and cover it with your favorite HD trunk mat. As was stated, the bottom of your tank is more vulnerable to damage than that received from your Golf bag. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I did the same as kenash, but used Anti-Fatigue foam floor mats from Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The underside of your tank is exposed to more hazards and possible damage than the top will ever be.
I believe the issue there’s no protection between the top of the fuel tank and the passenger compartment. So a rupture and fire in the trunk will quickly spread to the interior.

·
Premium Member
10,038 Posts
Send a PM to Kelly_H if you want to talk about 1966 Mustang fuel tank rupture possibilities.

·
Registered
34,283 Posts
I'm 62 years old. In all my years I can not recall hearing or reading of one accident involving a '65-73 Mustang that resulted in a fuel tank rupture and subsequent explosion or fire. I'm sure they have occurred, but with the number of Mustangs that have been manufactured and placed into service the percentage must be infinitesimally small when compared to, say, Ford Truck cruise control module fires.

While you can attempt to place armor around all the possible sources of injury or death in a vehicle and clothe all the occupants in bubble wrap the fact remains that the chances of all the wrong factors aligning like the moon and planets in the Age of Aquarius is slim. The other thing is that while a product may be advertised to perform a certain function, does it do it adequately? When it comes to Mustang fuel tank safety, I believe the only way to isolate the tank properly is to seal the trunk floor and hang the tank underneath, by straps, so it can break away in case of impact. In so doing, it also needs a filler neck with a check ball to prevent spillage.

If it were me suggesting and doing the work (which I wouldn't for the obvious legal implications of opening the door to litigation for modifying a safety aspect of the vehicle from "as designed"), I'd buy a replacement fuel tank and separate the top and bottom, place the top half in place and WELD IN PLACE, weld a "tunnel" for the fuel filler neck, replacing the rubber hose with metal tubing and the afore-mentioned check ball, and hanging the tank via straps, but that's just my anal-retentiveness.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
You could remove the fuel tank from the car and put it in a trailer behind the car and use a long flexible fuel line with a breakaway quick disconnect fitting. That would put put you further away from any catastrophic occurrence.:)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm 62 years old. In all my years I can not recall hearing or reading of one accident involving a '65-73 Mustang that resulted in a fuel tank rupture and subsequent explosion or fire. I'm sure they have occurred, but with the number of Mustangs that have been manufactured and placed into service the percentage must be infinitesimally small when compared to, say, Ford Truck cruise control module fires.
Just because you haven't heard of something happening doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And age doesn't always equal wisdom and knowledge.

Here's two articles in two seconds go Googling.

If someone wants to take additional precautions with their car it's up to them. We have the advantage of hindsight and an opportunity while a car is disassembled to make modifications to our liking.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
It was the Dan Rather report years ago, that led me to installing a Fuel cell, a far better alternative. Many owners of coupes have installed steel shields between the trunk and the passenger compartment. Personally, I thing the shield is a good first defense against fire reaching the passenger's area.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I was in a crash in my 66 Mustang in February 1995, struck in the left rear corner about a 35° angle, while stationary, by a new Chevy sedan traveling about 40-45 mph on impact. That's about 4000 pounds traveling about 66 feet per second. My gas tank was creased, it leaked a little drip-drip-drip on that left rear corner right over my left dual exhaust pipe. Was a heck of a lick, had to re-quarter that side, new trunk lid and left rear corner, new inner and outer wheelhouse, trunk floor and drop off, tail light panel and valance and the pieces between. Of course, I had to have a new gas tank and eventually new exhaust, new reverse lights and tail lights, new bumperettes. I still have pictures of the 94 Chevy sedan that it ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED. I mean from FRONT to BACK, including the top. The driver of the Chevy and I were both fortunate. But I wasn't concerned about my Mustang catching on fire. I have an OE style rubber trunk mat and I have a little black rubber mat on top of that to protect the plaid mat from scratches. It has been that way since I fixed and painted the car. I don't throw stuff into my trunk or worry about denting it. It isn't THAT fragile. It's steel. With a BUNCH of ribs on it that give it strength. If I was worried about the gas tank, it would be from a rear impact underneath. I suppose I could re-install the Rotunda trailer hitch, but if somebody hits that, it may actually be MORE likely to crease the tank. I've put 100,000 miles on that car since then and hope I get to put that many more on it. If I get hit in it, I'm less worried about the gas tank than I would be about a whole bunch of other what-ifs.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I'm with Woodchuck. And I've never seen or met anyone that ever saw a burned mustang in a junkyard. As for the disgraced Rather- not only did they rig the tanks, when the hype came out, there had been 70 fires in 35 years- that same summer, more people died from Firestone tires than all mustang fires combined. But let's put an un-engineered, untested piece of metal in a car designed a certain way and see what happens in a crash. Myfirstcar66 has done 100K miles and my 64 has gone 430,000+ miles in 30 years and I'm so scared of fires, I put a 22 gal tank in back in 1992. Until I see some real evidence of the actual danger, I'm good with what I have. Besides, most of you don't hardly drive these cars, they're a LOT more noticeable now that they're scarce ( another safety feature) and since you mostly do scenic and occasional drives, you're also watching out a lot more than if it was a daily driver- common-type car.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Stag man,

I went with the Tank Armor piece for our 66 vert. But more for rigidity than the fire hazard Issues. And too it was a cleaner look. If the fire issue is your primay concern, the fuel cell route would be the safest IMHO. I do not know of any racing series that spec trunk plates but many that do require fuel cells.
My thoughts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts