Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the middle of removing my fuel tank on the 71 coupe, reading my chiltons manual and everything was going great, but I got stuck. I am at the point of taking the filler neck out, and I will type exactly what the manual says and maybe you can help me.

8.Loosen the filler neck to tank hose clamps. (I don't know where to look for these, and there are no clamps around my filler neck that i can find.) Remove the filler neck, mounting gasket, and filler neck to tank hose. (How do i go about doing that?)

Also reading ahead, the next step is to remove the tank to luggage compartment floor pan retaining screws.

I looked all over the trunk floor pan, and cannot find any screws at all. I am pretty sure the tank was replaced by the previous owner and isn't stock, so maybe these things are different than what the chiltons manual says? I figured some of yous had replaced your gas tanks and might be able to give me some advice.
Thanks in advance,
Kalen

·
Registered
680 Posts
The clamps should be around the rubber hose from the gas capto the tank. Should be one at the top, and one at the bottom of the hose, at the tank.
Don't know what manual you are useing, but, the '71 thru '73 gas tanks are held on from the bottom with 2 steel straps that are about 1 1/2" wide, and run from rear of the car to the frame above the rear axle...There are no screws around the outside of the tank....
Hope this clears up the problem. Also, might want to spray the rear bracket nuts with WD40 before you try to take them off...
Good luck with the project...It isn't that bad a job. Just remember to support the tank with a jack before you undo the straps...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you explained exactly what my tank looks like. thank you. it is a 71-73 chiltons, but who knows. I thought the straps were the only thing holding the tank on but i didn't wanna go ripping and tearing if there were bolts into the floor pan. thanks alot for answering, it makes my life alot easier
Kalen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts