Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
68 Fastback J Code
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 68 fastback has had some strange "fixes" over the years by PO's. So, replacing parts isn't always straight forward. Now with that out of the way....

The aft edge of my fuel tank doesn't line up with the holes in the car. Either a) the tank is a crappy AM tank that's too short, or b) the car has been cut and new holes drilled. Again, strange mods over the years, and it was hit from behind sometime during its life. Looking at the pic from the underside, the "corner" looks cut, but the lip looks pretty good, so I don't know what to think.

All the 65-68 tanks for sale online say 24 1/2" long, but they don't say from where to where. I presume edge to edge but before I buy one, and potentially have to send it back (if my car is the problem), I'd like to ask one of you kind folks here with a properly fitting 65-68 to measure their tank opening as depicted in the pic. Basically center-line to center-line of the holes. I contacted a few vendors and none were willing to measure their tanks, or they didn't respond.

If I have a crappy AM tank, I buy a new one. If my car is cut, I get out the welder and some spare sheet metal.

Thanks!

Underside - aft edge.
Water Automotive tire Liquid Wood Tints and shades

Dimension I'm looking for. Be kind to my "artistry". LOL.
Rectangle Font Parallel Drawing Pattern

· Premium Member
10,830 Posts
You're definitely missing some material there that should have holes that line up.

Reactions: RichardM

· Registered
68 Fastback J Code
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My tank is out. 24.00 in.
My tank is crap. It's 23-5/8 center to center.

Thank you for measuring. I do appreciate it. I wasn't looking forward to having to return a tank if my car was the problem.

Thanks again,
-Richard

· Registered
68 Fastback J Code
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My tank's also 24" center to center on the bolts.

Original tank, 67 hardtop, not that any of that probably matters.
Between you and the other reply, it's confirmed... my tank is crap. It's 23-5/8 center to center. Thank you for measuring. I do appreciate it. I wasn't looking forward to having to return a tank if my car was the problem.

Thanks again,
-Richard

· Registered
68 Fastback J Code
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It appears to me that somebody has been cutting on your car. That certainly doesn't look like a factory cut to me.
I agree 100%, but the lip looks great. That's why I've been scratching my head so much on this car. It would be odd that someone would hack up the corner but do a wonderful job making the lip.

· Registered
68 Fastback J Code
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to add to the confusing, mine is a 67 hard top coupe, unmolested trunk and tank, the tank is out. Tank and trunk center to center is 23 3/4'' and yes mine measures 24 1/2'' edge to edge on tank.
Weird. My tank is 24-1/2 edge to edge, 23-5/8 center to center. I’ll not fuss over the 1/8“. Let’s say our tanks are the same size… but our trunks arent. And, neither of ours are 24” like the other two replies. I don’t know what to think now. 🤔

· Registered
274 Posts
My trunk opening is 22 1/4'' lip to lip, I would say that someone redid the trunk floor and did not get the measurements right after it was hit and repaired. I would cut it and add some material to fit a new tank or use your old one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts