Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a full disc conversion kit for my 66 coupe, 289 auto. I bought it from CJ Pony. I was wondering if any one else had done the full conversion, and what type of issues they might have run into. Right now I have all 4 calipers installed, along with the booster. My booster didn't fit the brackets without a slight modification to the brackets. My biggest problem was the fact that you have to lower the brake push-rod attachment point on the brake petal arm by 1 inch. This is easier said than done. I took mine to a machine shop. Then reattaching everything, along with the brake switch, well, it was very challenging. I eventually opted to leave the switch off, and ordered a generic switch that will connect to the pedal arm, and attach under the dash. I am ready to install the master cylinder, bleed the brakes, and then somehow figure out how to connect the parking brake cables. The kit has parts, but no explanation as to how they go together to connect into the parking brake system. If anyone has installed this kit from CJ Pony, or one similar, or know where I might find some type of instructions, please let me know. CJ Pony was no help at all. So far, I have not been able to find a You-Tube Video either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently purchased a full disc conversion kit for my 66 coupe, 289 auto. I bought it from CJ Pony. I was wondering if any one else had done the full conversion, and what type of issues they might have run into. Right now I have all 4 calipers installed, along with the booster. My booster didn't fit the brackets without a slight modification to the brackets. My biggest problem was the fact that you have to lower the brake push-rod attachment point on the brake petal arm by 1 inch. This is easier said than done. I took mine to a machine shop. Then reattaching everything, along with the brake switch, well, it was very challenging. I eventually opted to leave the switch off, and ordered a generic switch that will connect to the pedal arm, and attach under the dash. I am ready to install the master cylinder, bleed the brakes, and then somehow figure out how to connect the parking brake cables. The kit has parts, but no explanation as to how they go together to connect into the parking brake system. If anyone has installed this kit from CJ Pony, or one similar, or know where I might find some type of instructions, please let me know. CJ Pony was no help at all. So far, I have not been able to find a You-Tube Video either.
Disc Brake Conversion Kit Front And Rear With Plain Rotors V8 1965-1966 / All 1967-1969

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
506 Posts
I can't tell who the manufacturer is, but it looks like a Stainless Steel Brakes kit from the picture. Here are a few installation links to help out, although they're kind of weak.

I think this Mustang Monthly article about installing the SSBC rear brake kit used to have some pics that clearly showed how to route/connect the parking brake, but sadly the pics are no longer online.

The pics in this article might help...

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
Not too many elements of his rear disc kit look similar at all to the SSBC kits. Can't tell chit from shinola in that photo above, as far as those
calipers are concerned. Does the parking brake mechanism look like this? Take a photo of yours for us.....

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

1 - 8 of 8 Posts