Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and it seems like a few have done this on the forum. Now that I missed out on a 68 GT last week due to getting home 10 minutes late, I guess its time to start on the convertible. In columbus November swap, I bought the CJs usa made silver pan and its sharp!

My car is different than many as it had a leaky top and a leaky cowl, but needs no inner rocker or torque box work.
The floors have all the original primer on the underside, but had water sitting for years on the insude making the greenhouse!!

Did others support the rockers even though it is not weak due to rust ? Did you elavate the whole car before removing the the floor?
Where did you start? Remove the main seat plateform, and then start drilling spot welds everywhere?
Did you drill the lower convert seat pans on the inner rocker from the bottom, then seperate just enough to get the old floor out?
Did you cut the original out in sections, then clean the rails with a grinder and weld through prime?
Did you slide the new pan in to fit, then mark for the areas that need holes drilled for alignment/welding?

When did you prime the new floor with epoxy?

Anything I am missing?
TIA,
Paul

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
It seems like from your questions you've looked it over pretty good and have a good idea of what needs to be done. Be thankful that you've got the vert so you can get the pans in and out easy! You may want to make sure you've got a good door gap and then open them and weld in a support bar to keep the door gap from moving. You just want to take it out and put it in in the least invasive manner as possible. I personally would take the seat riser's out and then rough cut the majority of the floor out of your way adn then remove the left over floor flanges while you've got the room to work from both top and bottom. I have not installed one personally, but i watched on puit in a 67 recently and the full floor makes for a nive repair when done.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Mustang Monthly did a article not long ago about removing the pan and installing a completly brand new floor .

You might look into getting a back issue and reading it , I thought it was fairly well done . Don't remember the month though .

·
Registered
60 Posts
MM article was August '05 on the full pan replacement, in a 66 coupe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts