Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going through posts about installing full floor pans. I'm planning to do that on a '66 coupe. I never welded or have done sheet metal work before - but why not jump in!

I read in a post there was this comment below. I'm not sure what it means. Does the commenter mean that he shouldnt have cut out all the original floor up to the wheel well? The 2nd photo I found from a youtube video seems to show a lip being left in place. Looks like the mounting brackets that the rear interior section bolts to needs to come out, correct? Is the rear of the floor pan spot welded to the frame rail shown in the 2nd photo?

thanks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Boy! I give you credit for wanting to try and weld in the floor. Me and my buddy are replacing my floor in the 65 convertible. It all started as replacing the inner and outer crowl - to stop the leaks. So we decided to look at the floor - big mistake - not really but the more we dug the worst it got. He a picture to give you an idea ( 2nd pic you posted) My tunnel was in great shape - both inner rockers were shoot - torque boxes
121.jpg
128.jpg
were bad to. I have a 100 pictures and we are 3/4 finished - My buddy is a welder and I can stick metal together. You just don't pick up welding 1,2 and 3. Good luck the work is only started.

·
Registered
321 Posts
another picture - you see we did the toe panels also - so we could get a good weld.

I done two ground ups (early Fords) and have the knowledge but that was in the early 1980. Both cars made a hard cover book for Ford. I don't think I would have started this project at my age today - just to much work. Glad I did as the car will that much better.
123.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
I'm going through posts about installing full floor pans. I'm planning to do that on a '66 coupe. I never welded or have done sheet metal work before - but why not jump in!

I read in a post there was this comment below. I'm not sure what it means. Does the commenter mean that he shouldnt have cut out all the original floor up to the wheel well? The 2nd photo I found from a youtube video seems to show a lip being left in place. Looks like the mounting brackets that the rear interior section bolts to needs to come out, correct? Is the rear of the floor pan spot welded to the frame rail shown in the 2nd photo?

thanks.

View attachment 754031 View attachment 754032
I applaud your enthusiasm. Look into a welding class or two at night school in your area and get busy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts