Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had problems with interior fumes
after restoring the engine and engine bay?
the heat from the engine will
cause the new paint to smell,

the big carbs always have a gassy smell,
the exhaust seems to want to invade the car,
so just wondering if this has been a problem
to anyone else?
we are in the process of sealing up all the
tiny holes in the firewall,
and trying to figure out the best way to
make the chrome plate around the shifter rubber
air tight.
any suggestions?
thanks
iowa

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
Do you have the rubber seal that goes between the hood and cowl?

There is a runner gasket between the auto shifter and floor, and a rubber plug for the big access hole in the shifter.

The manual upper shift boot seals against the floor and lever.

As for big carbs being smelly, I ran triple Holleys for years and didn't have a gassy smell. Maybe you really have a carb problem.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I think your carb is running too rich. Just curious, What carb do you have?

·
Registered
583 Posts
no no no man. this is normal the reason why i say this is because u said you restored the engine. So i am guessing that you swaped out the exhaust with new exhaust/ headers. the paint bakes when it is new and heats up expesialy when you first run a new engine because it runs hotter than a broken in engine. that is why they usualy say to use old manifolds or headers durring burn in so that it is not possible for your new headers to brown/dis color/ burn paint off. i had the same thing happen to me when i used a new set of headers. this will go away after the paint on your headers has curred to the metal itself. also if you get new exhaust it usually does the same thing it heats up the inside and outside of metal which smokes and smells.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we are running an Edelbrock 500
does anyone have any pics of the
above mentioned seals, runners, plugs etc.
thanks
iowa

·
Registered
442 Posts
An often overlooked item: Is your PCV system working corectly? If not or if you just have open breathers, toxic crankcase gases are being spewed into the engine compartment (and can easily leak into passenger cabin).
Also check if your carb or hoses leak gas.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I haven't had a problem with it. I usally just sit there reving the engine up and breath it all in. When it makes my eyes water I just wipe them dry with a shop rag. The only problem I have is getting the grin off my face.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts