Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am discovering that the 65 FB is pretty much unmolested. Today I cleaned the rear axle housing/pumpkin prior to installing the new ss brake lines. Once all the grime was gone I found the center section in its red oxide primer and the factory chalk/paint markings on it! Wow. Even has the axle tag. The factory paint park is a white daub on the passenger side, almost up at the yoke. The number 10 is also painted there. I took a couple pictures. I want to refresh the red oxide primer - anyone know what brand product will replicate the factory color?

also, I am getting into paint prep and it appears that the rear area, at the "fastback" where the slope meets the front of the trunk, is filled with gobs of plastic filler. The metal underneath looks real rought, like it was worked with a file. Is this normal? I've noticed theh plastic filler also on the hood. What seems like a straight as can be body is really something that has been skim coated. It now appears from the underside of the car that the floor pans have been replaced, along with the front frame rails. I found yellow paint letters on the front frame rails, underneath the undercoater, just like a salvage yard would mark them. They are in great shape - no rust. It is starting to look like someone did a body restoration on the car, actually a pretty good one. Just a lousy paint job over it.

well, onto more discoveries. For instance, the reason the "new" brake job put on the car before I bought it, resulted in the car pulling radically to the right is the the driver's rear bleed screw was bent half off the wheel cyliner, thus leaking fluid all over the new shoes and everything else inside the brake drum, as well as goo all over the backing plate. Someone did a $100 brake job then was careless for 30 seconds and ruined it. I now have new shoes, wheel cylinders, drums, hardware, and ss lines, plus clean and painted.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I took the race car down to bare metal years ago (virgin body...so sad it was cut up when I bought it) and the only thing I recall at those parting lines was lead, which also appeared around the drip rails.

There wasn't any non-metallic substances on the body at all, from what I recall. I had to add some fiberglass matting and resin to reconstruct the cut fenderwell lips to a stock appearance but kept the use of bondo to that area only. The rest of the body was primered and blocked prior to paint....lots of work *G*

Wish I had an unmolested '65...good luck with yours!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts