Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost some time this morning before heading to a show 125 Miles away from my house so ended up leaving about 9:30am for a show whose registration ended at 11am, hehe... 3.89's are not condusive to making up time on the interstate, but I did manage to keep the speedo at about 70-75MPH and the RPM's were hovering in the 3K-3500 range - sucked down the gas but car ran wonderfully.

My maps.yahoo.com directions sent me up a highway, 55 MPH, for the last 20 or so miles of the drive and that caused me some trouble. I was cruisin on that highway at about 60-65 and passed a car that was doing 50, meaning I probably did 70+ to pass them - well, over the next hill a trooper waived me over - he was sitting there; said that the plane had me going 72, hmmm... if I was doing 72 as an average, you'd think I'd know it the way the car winds up... but I didn't argue and had my license, registration, and insurance stuff all handy for him when he approached the car. He was nice enough to write me up for 65 in a 55, he asked me after he wrote me up how fast I thought I was going, I said probably 65 and he said 'well, then you got written up for about what you thought you were doing'... nice guy, doing his job, no big deal. Insurance shouldn't be effected as I haven't had any moving violations in over 15 years...

So, onto the show. Fun stuff, lots of nice cars. I was peeved that Richelieu blew me off and left before I got there (I arrived at 11:15 or so). Jthompson was there and so was Henry and his family. I almost bought a 289 block for $20 that looked like it hadn't been bored, but decided I'd keep looking for a Mexican or other block to start my 'alternate' engine project with...

Jthompson took first place in the 64.5-65 coupes/fastbacks amongst some tough competition. Henry's Boss 9 lost out to a Boss 302 :: I ended up getting second place in my class (all Shelbys) but since there were only mine and one other that's not saying much. What's strange is, the 68 GT 350 that was the other Shelby also took Best of Show - very odd as it was a nice car, but certainly no where near the level of say Henry's car or a number of other candidates around there. Oh well, People's Choice is always like that - never know what's gonna happen. I'm looking forward to putting my car in some judged stuff in the future - I'm interested in making the car better and People's Choice type shows really don't do much for you along those lines. I'm not so sure I don't agree with CT, if I go to another non-judged show I should probably go 'display only' to take the fuss out of it.

Was hoping more Shelbys would come out, but weather was threatening all day. But, only a small, tiny, sprinkle at the end of the show is all that happened.

All in all, another fun day. I gotta say though it's great to hang out with some of the guys at the show it was WAY fun to drive the car there and back - it really is running fantastic (it's drivetrain is in stock form, so all I could think of was 'wow, this must have been what it was like to tool around in one of these back in the late 60's - hot, noisy, and fun ;) ).

Well, I'm off to take a shower and get the family some dinner.

-bob

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I'm compelled here to respond as it may make you feel better.
On the 17th I put my fishing boat in the water rather hastily and when I realized that not only was there no fuel line from tank to outboard motor, but there were no lifejackets or throwable floatation devices in the boat; and about twenty feet off the loading ramp a couple of eager officers wrote me up for $175.00 X 2 for the offenses. #1 Son had removed the items to put in the ski boat without informing me. :p
Not kidding!
Later after returning home with the boat and an eagerness to lick my wounds (drink) SWMBO from the other room heard me enter the house. "What's wrong honey?" I replied, "How did you know that something's wrong?" She said: "Did you get a ticket?" "Yes! How'd you know?"
"So did I!"
She had tried to take a shortcut by going around a barricade.

Yep 600 bucks worth of tickets in the same afternoon.

I just thought that that would ease your pain a little.

Sounds like you had a pretty good day for yourself anyway!

·
4,131 Posts
Do you have the "Traffic School" program back there in your part of the country? That is you pay to spend a day, or 3 nights, learning about traffic safety and get the ticket off your record. That is the insurance company does not find out about it and raise your rates. Here in California it can be taken once every 18 mo. At least that is the way it was the last time I got a speeding ticket, and that was over 6 years ago. Congrats on taking 2nd place with 2 cars entered. :p I'm getting ready to install some 3.89's in my coupe, so you were running 3 to 3.5k huh. Not to bad, I'm not planning on any long trips in my Mustang so the gears should be perfect. :: Along the lines of telling a beautiful woman that she looks pretty, and do they ever mind hearing that, thanks for having this site Bob fd

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate it! Wow, when it rains it pours, eh? I'm thankful the rest of the day was uneventful and in fact really fun. I was just amazed that I actually got pulled over and got a ticket - it was a very foreign experience for me after no such event in over 15 years! So, I really wasn't upset about it, I was definitely going over the speed limit, probably about 10 miles an hour over, so the ticket was justified. I've actually had another instance here in town where I got pulled over but the guy just wanted to talk cars, hehe. I was hoping for the same thing here but no such luck. The good news is the ticket is only $43...

Thanks for the story, sorry to hear about all that!

-bob

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They might have traffic school here, but I believe it's for those who get wreckless/negligent driving tickets (like if he would have said I was going 75 in the 55 - I think that's an instant license revoked thing or something here). 3.89's aren't optimal for interstate travel, but the car is surprisingly comfortable at 70MPH with them.

Yeah, thanks for the the congrats on getting 'last', hehe...

-bob

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Bob, check out the traffic school in your state. Most state's have it now. It's a way of "buying a little justice". You got to traffic school and pay the money, and then it's like the ticket never happened.

When I got the ticket a year ago in my '66, I did traffic school on line (www.trafficschooltogo.com). It was about as simple as anything I've ever done, took about 3 hours to complete and cost $25 ... not bad to have the ticket basically not count or show up.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Was that the Cedar Rapids show you went to? If so I wish I would have gone down. Only about 70 Miles from me.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah... you should of! Fun show! We were talking about it last week in the Heartland VMFers Forum...

-bob

·
Registered
746 Posts
Bob, last saturday I got a ticket for doing 35 in a 30. I called on the ticket on friday and it is 85 Dollars, and that was for 5 over! You were going 10 over and only have to pay $43. Thats some price difference :: I too could not complain about the ticket (my first ticket in 14 yrs) because I was in the wrong, but in my defense it was a speed trap :: Live and learn I say. Plus I just gave the ticket to Nick and let him take care of it :: Sounds to me you got off pretty cheap. Good Night, Dawn

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Did the kind officer at least tell you "Nice Car!"??? I bet that beige and blue skunk looks like a big target from the air to law enforcement types! ::

Hey, but the BIG news from the day - you actually got to DRIVE and ENJOY your car (maybe a little too much ;))! That's the best part of ownership - DRIVING them! THAT is the thing that makes it all worthwhile!

You want trophies? - I've got boxes of them you can have! :: (I still like those too, but tend to enjoy the DRIVE more lately)...

My weekend??? Repainted SWMBO's dining room - penance for being gone 5 of the last 6 weekends! :: ...Did take the clone out for "ice cream" Friday night! ::

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As we finished our exchange he did say 'car looks pretty clean', not sure what that meant but I think it was State Patrol speak for something near 'nice car'...

Hey, the fastback got plenty of trophies and you're right, they're good for taking up storage space... Shelby class is a little different, competition with 67/68 cars in the post-eleanor era makes it impossible to do well in a popular vote deal and that's just not a big deal to me... I didn't get into the car (or want one my entire life) because I was trying to please someone else, ya know?

I had some 'honey dos' myself this weekend - yard work yesterday that I'm still sore from!

Oh, and who you callin' 'beige' kelvinator?

-bob

·
Registered
569 Posts
O.K. the common response is that you should look into Traffic School for your ticket. I have one word for you.....

DEFERAL! Every state has a Deferal Program and since you have not been in trouble in a while call the Prosecuting Attorneys office (usually listed on the ticket) and as for a deferal program since you probably wont be in that area for a while. You will get probation for 6 months and no points on your ticket.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
well, I was there until at LEAST 11:30, according to the pictures I was taking of the cars there.. :p So you had to have shown up later.... and I talked to Jeff and Henry, that had no idea if you were going to show up or not....

I am sorry I missed ya though.

With the threat of rain in the area it seemed like at the time you wouldnt' be showing up...

That's good to hear that Jeff won... I joked with him he was going to... I'm glad he did!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts