Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I set up Phil's Shifter Laboratory yesterday to study a stock 65/66 shifter and see how you can convert it to a cable shifter to control a late model transmission (4R70W). I wonder if an AOD could be controlled in the same way? One of you guys with an AOD might think about this too someday.

Anyway...check it out...if your interested...at Project Overdrive

Anythoughts anyone? Especially...Whisperer if you read this...do you think it would be possible to make the dummy button on one of those Scott Drake T-handles work as an OD cancel switch? Do you think it is possible to get the wires in the shifter lever?

Phil

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Another thought (if you don't smoke) would be to put the O.D. switch in the cigarette lighter.... Retain the stock handle and bezel. Insert a tiny LED in the end of the handle...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Law of sines? Converting linear measurements to angular displacements? I'm glad someone uses geometry. I was considering an AOD until Modern Driveline released its auto-to-manual transmission conversion kits.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Man, looks like you are thinking WAY too hard...You need to take a break, drink a beer, and think about peaceful things.....
Seriously, have you thought about a Hurst t-handle? Not original, but, you can get them with a push button built in and hook that up for the overdrive....
Just a thought...
With al you are going thru, I will stay with my C6. I don't need an ADO, afterall....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Phil,
You shouldn't have to modify the graphics on the shifter bezel. You are only modifying the attachment point of the cable, not the pivot point of the shifter.
What type of throttle position sensor did you get? Is is shaft mounted or lever acutated?
You are in this pretty deep. You are making all the rest of us look like amatures.

Good Luck,
Glenn

·
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought of that...though if I do it I'll probably just use the stock hole and chuck everything else. The advantage would be I wouldn't have to drill any new holes anywhere...which is a major advantage.

I've also give a lot of thought to installing a custom made turn signal lever with a button on the end of it (same place your cruise button would be on a modern car). It would have to he a fat turn signal lever, as the stock ones would be way too thin to get a wire down the center.

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/images/switches/columnturnleverswitch.jpg
Here's one a streetrod company sells for GM cars fro $57

That's my big question on the shifter handle itself. Getting the button in the spot where the fake button is on the Scott Drake repops would be child's play compared to getting the wires up through the stock shifter lever to the button.

I need two switches and two indicator lights somewhere. The other idea I had was to mount them to a box inside the console compartment...that is attached just at the edge, behind the console door, with a hinge. You could flip it back so that it doesn't show...or you could flip it down while driving so that you could play with the switches. My concept would be that the console door would close with the box in either postion, but would have to be opened to move it from the flipped down to the flipped up postion.

I still like the idea of a button on the shifter better...but that may be impossible...or at least very hard to do.

Phil

·
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roger on the C6. I'm not sure how you'd ever get an AOD behind your 460 anyway.

The Hurst T handle (or a B&M one) with a switch would be easy, but I don't want my wire looped around the shifter lever. That would look goofy as can be. Is there room inside for the wires? That's the question.

Phil

·
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure you're right about he graphics. Even though my shift points are within the area the detent plate allows for each gear, that doesn't mean the indicator will be exactly even with the label on the shifter....it just means it won't be pointing at the WRONG gear. For example, when you have it in D, it might be between the two dots on the C4 indicator, rather than pointing at the first dot as it should. If I have it redone, I'll ditch the dots and use the AODE lettering of D 2 1.

The GP Sorenson Part number I gave is the one that Greg at Baumann engineering told me to get. It was an EXPENSIVE little bugger at $51 + tax. AND that didn't buy me the pigtail. I'm thinking I may go to a junkyard after the pigtail, and see if I can pick up any helpful bracketry or linkage at the same time. It is a rotary TPS with the suggesion being that you mount it solidly to the intake manifold, and then hook it up via a linkage arm and a spring to the throttle lever on the carb. This means you're converting the rotary motion of the carb lever to linear motion and then back to rotary motion. Seems to me there might be a more elegant solution. I've got to look at my engine and see. Also, if I go to a junkyard I can see how GM does it. I think everything they used this particular TPS on had MFI on it (mid 80's fieros, a few 2.0 liter sedans). The pigtail was used on several different TPS units and was stock on a ton of GM cars and trucks.

Phil

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Phil - I'm way outtta my league here, but I'll put my $.02 in anyway....

I was wondering if you could use a stock 65/66 4 speed shifter, and link the AOD switch to the reverse t-handle? Make sense? Possible? Dickson

·
Registered
400 Posts
Phil,
$51 is a lot for a TP sensor. Hopefully you can source the harness from the junkyard. I will be keeping my eyes open for your further updates.

Glenn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts