Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally dusted off the Funnel web and got the free time to install it.
The previous intake was a gutted out Torker open plane. Great torque and no flat spots in acceleration. Carb being used at first was a 700 DP then I stepped up to a 750 DP with the porting of the 351w heads. With the porting the extra carb cfm was greatly noticed.
I was really happy with the intake and its performance. Then I ran Blistic at Willow Springs.
I noticed a need for a little more top end. I was already running in the upper 5-7k range and the engine was still pulling. So I installed a 2 inch spacer just to see the effects. The results were very positive. Low end torque and Upper HP. I actually had a quicker .2 sec 1/8th mile time. Plus the engine rev'd free.
Last night I installed the Funnel Web. Of course I cleaned up the castings and port matched the gaskets. So the original castings measurements are larger.
Initial crank up ...damn..I almost lost my hat. The sound of this thing :p ...it is almost like a HURRICANE. (WARNING! Do not have anything near that might be sucked into the carb. keep items atleast 5 feet away!)
Idle with no adjustments was pretty decent. Throttle response with a outside temperture of 45 degrees was crisp and intense.
Even my wife poked her head into the garage and inquired what was different.
I should get the return springs situated tonight and make final vaccuum adjustments. No major hood clearence issues.
Air cleaner still fits with my existing hood scope. http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ProdImages/PR1-B.jpg

·
Registered
803 Posts
What rpm range is the intake designed for? It looks alot taller then a torker intake , so are you running a real small air cleaner to get it to fit? What cam are you running? Were did you buy the intake?

Sorry for all the ?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my68stang said:
What rpm range is the intake designed for? It looks alot taller then a torker intake , so are you running a real small air cleaner to get it to fit? What cam are you running? Were did you buy the intake?

Sorry for all the ?
They say
"Recommended for highly modified carburetted engines between 4000 to 8500 rpm. Designed with a single plane tall plenum & cloverleaf opening, simulating a tunnel ram effect to each cylinder, with each runner a direct shot to the port.

Ports measure 1.28" wide x 2.00" tall, same as most aftermarket heads. Measures 7.25" tall, so a taller hood is a must.
Running a 3 inch drop base breather.
Yes the torker is a lot lower. But witht he torker and the 2 in spacer the funnel is
I picked it up at a GooD GuYs show for $150 Back before the Mustangs suppliers got them in stock.
Cam I am running is a lunati bracket II .488 lift.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Any pics yet?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not yet. But maybe a video of the start up tonight

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Are you running a 351w in that car, or 351w heads on a 302/289? I forget, sorry. How much extra height does that hood scoop add? Reason i ask is because i don't even have room for a 1" carb spacer on my 70 mach 351w Eddy RPM intake and i'm running a billet oval air cleaner that isn't very tall (maybe 2-3" total). I can't imagine a 2" spacer and a taller intake, so the scoop must help a bunch.

How was the low end torque and driveability affected by the intake swap?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the scoop does help alot. The scoop was required for the torker and a 3 inch element. The 2 inch spacer and the torker were to tall..basically the air cleaner could not be used.
I liked the added airflow of the spacer so the funnel web swap was a definate.
Engine set up is 351w cast iron heads 1.94/1.60 proflow valves and a serious port job. Bottom end a 289 block .030 302 crank and rods.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kinda slow on the pictures ..hopefully this weekend.
All I can say this intake looks really wicked. Looks like I have a big block under the hood.

And with a little more tuning....this baby is gonna be a bad bad machine.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I manage to get the car to the track last night. The drive down to Qualcom was very nice. Temperature was in the 50's. Right off the bat I could feel the difference. Power was good down low around 1k to 2500 rpm. I let the engine lag in second and third a few times and then accelerated. Response was better than the torker. The intake really came alive around 3500 to 7k rpm. The first run at the Q....ha! How about a 10.4 with tires a blazing. I was driving it like I had the torker on it. That was not a good idea. I needed to lower the launch rpm down to 2200rpm vice 3500.
Each run from that time on was better. Mainly getting the car to hook. I kept dropping the pressure in my tires and finally at 15psi I had a decent launch an a whole lotta wrinkle. Still the tires were slipping. My mph speed was up in th 1/8th by 7 to 8 mph with the Funnel verses the torker.
This is with a 26 inch street slick,3.50 trac-lok and a 4-link coil over and tko-500. I did see higher rpms with the intake. 6500 to 7600 was really easy. No flat spots at all. A few commented on how the car sounded really good.
At highway speeds on the way back I dropped into 3rd next to the wife in her GT. She said she had it mashed an the 65 rocketed away from her.
I do see that I could use a bit more gearing. Where this intake allows the engine to breathe on the upper end where the torker made it feel like is was running out of power.

Engine build. 289 block 302 .030 pistons and rods/crank. C9 351 1.94/1.60 heads/valves .488 lunati bracket II cam. tko-500 3.50 trac-lok. 26 inch tall sportmans.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Sounds like quite a ride! Is that 10.4 a 1/4 ET or did you just run a 1/8th mi drag strip?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The ET time is a 1/8th mile.
The car is capable of a 8.50 in the 1/8th . I just have to get it there.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Palomar, Mesa grande, Mt Laguna...Hell yeah.
I take the mustang or the bike. I love having this race course in my back yard.
Let me know when you are driving it next time and I will join you.
The hood scoop is a 78-83 mustang scoop.
Pete

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well ive been looking on ebay and find these manifolds are going from $110 - $200. Found a couple places that had their phone number listed and called and of course they all swore these were the real parker funnel web intakes. Also searched in fordmuscle forums. It seems that the people who have love them. they sure look mean, but i think it would be to big for my set-up. It would be fun after i take my mustang back to the dyno and get it dialed in to try the dyno with a funnel web intake.

(my combo) 302 .30 over balanced, airgap, 1.6 harland sharp roller rockers, edelbrock rpm heads, xe268h cam, holley 670, tri-ys,c-4, 2100 stall,8 in. w/4.11

Blistic keep us posted

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
gotta post a video man!!!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jeff
If this is your cam "Comp Cam XE268H cam, .509/.512 224/230 @ .050, 110 "
That cam is a bit more than mine.

AFA as "they sure look mean" that is a true statement. The tech inspector at the Q was very impressed with the intake. Another buddy of mine from FFR thought I had atleast a 351w in the car. I promise I will get a good video of the car. My goal for this week...I promise!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thats my cam, a polished one would sure look nice under a teardrop hood.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts