Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Mustang Convertible 302 T5
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 base model convertible, no A/C. I have the dash apart, doing my cluster lights and putting in a new aftermarket (retro style) stereo. Previous owners did some ad hoc wiring over the years and so I am going to sort it out to clean this up.

The fuse box does not have the accessory post/fuse, so I will be adding one accommodate the seat belt warning light/relay that I purchased used. Currently, the stereo is tapped into some wire elsewhere. I guess I could tap into the new accessory post? Unless someone can tell me what the original RADIO (+) feed wire color is? This would be off of FUSE position 1.

Next, I have aux gauges (water temp, oil pressure, and tach). Right now these are tapped into the same "always hot" line that the PO wire the radio with. This means lights are on all day. My question is this..... Would it be too much draw for the 4amp fuse if I were to wire these in with the line feeding the instrument cluster/clock/heater control lights/etc.? I don't have a clock. Would this draw down the voltage current and make my cluster lights even more dim? I like the idea of the lights coming on with the headlight switch but its not a deal breaker. What do most people do?

BTW - I have documented the pinouts of the cluster printed circuit connector if anyone needs it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
If the harness is hacked up I would consider sending it to Midlife for refurbishment. Also replace the crappy cluster lights with LEDs from Mustang Project. They look great and will significantly reduce the load on the circuit so you can run your gauges off it.

·
Registered
1969 Mustang Convertible 302 T5
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just purchased the accessory post extension from Midlife. My harness is actually in good shape. It's only that previous ownership tapped into wires for radio and I'm not really sure if they are the originally dedicated wires from the fuse box. If someone can tell me what the original wire color should be for the radio, I'd appreciate it.

I already have LEDs from HIPO parts and they very good on the bench. I didn't think about the lower load with the LEDs so that is comforting and will simply use that that feed for the gauge lights.

After I bought the dash LEDs, I bought my led tail lights from Mustang Project with great results - easy install and quality parts .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts