Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My latest problem with my 65 mustang convertible restoration: I'm trying to replace the inside and out side fuzzies on all windows, problem is direction say to remove the door panel then remove the rubber stop and the windows should lower below the fuzzies, my problem can't find any stops of any kind that allow the windows to drop below the fuzzies, any suggestions? P.S. any suggestions on restoration books other than HP books???

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Typically, there is a fairly large rubber "bumper" in the very bottom of each door that, IMO, is there to soften the crash of a side glass should it happen to drop into the door (from mechanical failure of some window mwchanism). This bumper may prevent the window frame from coming down far enough to replace the felts. The bumper fits into a slot and can be removed/worked out (carefully) without ripping it apart. Besides the bumper, there is an actual "stop" in each door that is adjustable and regulates the depth that the window descends. This "stop" is fastened with a bolt and can be removed after taking off the door panel. Just watch the window mechanism as the glass comes down and you will see which stop is the one that contacts the mechanism and prevents it from moving down any further.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old Hand,
Thanks for the sugestion, however 1. I have checked all over inside the door panel even with a flash light I can not find a rubber stop. 2. I did remove both the metal upper and lower window stops, the window will still not drop any lower ( below fuzzies).! Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Perhaps someone has removed the rubber stop. However, you should be able to locate the rubber stop's mounting bracket welded to the very bottom of the door about mid point fore and aft. Obviously, something is restraining the window from going all the way down. I would watch the inner mechanism carefully as you wind down the window and try to find the thing that stops it (lower channels clogged or bent, binding winder gears, worn rollers or scissor mechanism, etc). Also, is the upper window frame "catching" on the old felts/staples and hanging up the glass? Does this same problem exist on both doors? Let us know what you find out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts