Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone interested, I hooked up my doorlocks to my burglar alarm this weekend. Works really cool.

I always got tired of explaining to passengers not to press down the lock and hold the button on the outside door handle, then, "Oh, it doesn't work like that?" "No, it's 35 years old, they didn't do this model."

Now, it's just, "shut up and get out and I'll lock the doors with my pushbutton!"

I got the alarm from RadioShack, Bulldog 911, on sale for $29.99 with all these features I couldn't believe, so I got it.

I noticed it had a plug for keyless entry, so I went to the Bulldog site and bought the doorlock solenoids for 10 bucks each. Relayed them up so that they use the pulse from the alarm to lock/unlock (these are ground pulse, some are +12v pulse, so relay them up accordingly).

Whole shootin' match = less than $60 for alarm w/keyless entry.

Downside = had to drill two tiny holes in each inner door skin below door latch. Used factory black-painted sheet metal screws to attach doorlocks inside door so it is very hard to notice. I do, but nobody else does. Maybe somebody else has a better idea for attaching solenoids inside door.

Dan
Be a good dad to your kids and phone your mom twice a week...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589115&a=12097562&p=43884454.jpg

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Great post! I have been considering installing some sort of alarm. Now I've got another project to do but it will definitely be later this year!

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=11942550&p=43703435.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Dakota Digital has some really interesting "toys" also. They have a universal power window setup, along with the power lock/alarm setup.
I will be installing their Digital dash in a couple months. Maybe in phase 2,3,4 I might look for other goodies *G*
Their power locks/alarm are more expensive than your's however.

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I hooked up my parking lights to my taillights so they would be always on when light swx pull, then I hooked up a headlight warning system but it is a buzzer and it sux. I would like to hook up one of those soothing chimes. When I drive to work in the dark and get there in the light, I sometimes forget to douse the lights. Do ya think this Dakota place would have those chimes? Know where to get them w/o spending an armanda leg?

Dan
Be a good dad to your kids and phone your mom twice a week...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589115&a=12097562&p=43884454.jpg

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I've done the same with my fastback. And drilling the two holes in the door was worth it. It's so nice to have the convienance of having the doors unlock/lock with the alarm.

I did have to fabricate a couple of brackets to bolt the solenoids to. And the bracket bolts to the door under the door panel, out of sight and out of mind......

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
311 Posts
What is the bulldog site address?

Don
1965 Convertible, 351W, Tremec, 9", continuous "improvements"
1996 Explorer XLT - daily driver
2000 Taurus - wife's driver
2001 Giant OCR3 - my 2 wheel road warrior for getting in shape

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
O.K, all I've got to say is thanks! As if I didn't already have enough projects underhand, and here you go bragging about something my wife has asked for, and I told her they didn't make such things for 35 year old cars. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Now I expect a detailed web page with detailed photos to go along with it /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif hehe!

Doug

[color:red]VMF Exchange Board</font color=red>
http://members.spree.com/entertainment/whizco/owner/dwhisenant/66tl2.jpg
[color:blue]My Mustang is Camera Shy</font color=blue>/forums/images/icons/blush.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts