Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thank you Charles!! I have been shipping my stuff to California for last the 5 years ever since the local I had doing it won't do small stuff anymore. I am ordering some and will give it a try. Thanks again!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Armond: You'll be surprised how easy it is! Make sure you use a stainless steel pot. Get 2 of them, a large one (for things like hood hinges) and a smaller one for misc. small parts.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
This is outstanding. I bought two bottles (1 zinc, 1 manganese) from Vern's leftover stock after he went out of business, it works great. Time to re-stock!

Carl

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Sounds good.

Now, which do we need for Mustangs? Just the zinc or are there any manganese plated parts on our cars?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The regular zinc is fine for Mustang parts. The manganese is more of a charcoal finish.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks Charles! I understood he had gone out of business and this stuff was NLA from him. BTW, Shooter's Roost lists the product, but if you try to order it they tell you they are only supplying the manganese now (because it is "better").

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I recall meeting Vern many years ago at the Spring Auto Fair in Charlotte. He was selling his products and offering demos at his space. Very nice guy and fantastic results! When you consider he was doing his demo at a fold up table with noting more than, if I recall correctly, a propane heat source for the solution, it was amazing and simple! Thanks Charles for pointing out the Ebay listing!!

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Good will give it a tried ... guess all those phone calls following forum discussions made him consider getting back in the biz. Looks like the same stuff I use to by from a Chevy guy in Reno .. he's been gone longer than Vern has

Still won't give up the bluing... just another tool ;)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
CharlesTurner said:
The regular zinc is fine for Mustang parts. The manganese is more of a charcoal finish.
Did you notice he says maganese for Ford parts in the ads. I am going to buy some, but want to make sure which to get.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
My advice? Get some of both. The zinc is a greyish finish, for hood latches and hinges, etc. I do use the manganese (almost black finish) for a lot of small fasteners, it doubles quite nicely for black oxide.
I use the WD-40 wash for the immediately after the soup pass, but use Boeshield for the second pass, the pieces I've done have held up quite well.

Carl

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
For the WD-40 wash, do you just spray it off, or do you empty a WD-40 can into a container and dip the part in it? Sorry to be so anal, but the term WD-40 wash implies there's more to than just spraying it down from the can.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just spray it on to cover and let it soak. Come back with a rag later and wipe off excess. Soaking it probably is not a bad idea, but unnecessary.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I sell on ebay all the time, and lose about 10% average to ebay fees and paypal fees.

Anybody know this guy well enough that you can point him to this thread and get a list together of VMF guys who want to order the stuff and shortcut the ebay game? It'd be one thing if we were bidding against each other raising the price, but he's got them all fixed-price listings. Its a win-win, we don't have to wait around trying catch his zinc listing, he moves some product pretty quick, and saves the ebay fees.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't really know him at all, just bought his product. I suppose someone could contact him at the number listed in the auction and propose an off-ebay sale.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
GT_SCODE said:
Dang you guys beat me to them. I will order when he gets more up.
I sent him an e-mail about putting more of it up on Ebay. Hopefully he will do so.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts