Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us without palm trees in our yard its time to prepare for the endless winter. This year I am planning to find refuge in my garage. Maybe a little TV and a place to enjoy a Habano. I would like to know what others have done to heat their sanctuary. I guess my choices are ventless and vented. I have a gas line and a place for a vent from an old heater (my brick 2 1/2 car garage is 80 years old). I have heard that ventless heaters can cause an increase in moisture which sounds like a negative and provide less BTU's. I need 30 to 45,000 I figure and would just like to keep my garage about 50 degrees around the clock with the option to turn it up when I'm working. What have others used including brand names. Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
I use a Modine "Hot Dog" and It's vented through the attic over the 3rd car garage. It's only 30,000 BTU, but it works great. I think it is important to make sure the garage has the proper insulation first. Then do the heater.
Oh, and the T.V. is a great idea. I put mine in last year. It does make for great company.
John

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,342 Posts
I've been researching the Mr. Heater brand a little more and actually got through to a useful tech guy last time I called. The sqft they list is only a guide. He told me 75,000btu would be plenty for my well insulated shop.

astat 1 - take a look at their 45,000btu unit . You want vented so as to not introduce moisture during combustion and rust your tools/cars etc.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Last year I used a propane forced air heater (50-75K)while I was in working. It heated up the garage very quickly and then I turned it off. No issues what so ever with fumes (you can smell it that you have it on) but thats it. As for fresh air, when I need to go into the house or whatever I open the garage door. It lets in plenty of fresh air. Also, I know a few guys that have used them for years without issues. Really cheap too.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would think a 75k heater would be perfect for your garage . I have a 20x25 garage in a raised ranch and previous owner tapped in to duct work for his sign bus. I barely have them open in the winter and my garage stays in the high 47 to 48 range just with this . i shut the vents and I run a 55k torpedo during days i work out there and also run a small oscilating fan to move air around after i shut of torpedo. it stays a good 70 with me running heat every 20 minutes or so . Plus a benny to this is the A/C in the summer its cool and dry great for car storage.

·
7,051 Posts
Although heater manufacturers have targeted some of their ventless products at garages, I would definitely not recommend them for that use.

Ventless heaters do not work well around dust, pet hair, or solvents which they may come into contact with in a garage situation. Any combustion byproducts are directed into the heated space. At the best of times, this is only carbon dioxide and water, but if solvents are present in the garage (paint, cleaners, etc.) their vapors will also be sucked into the burner and burned along with the fuel gas. Then they get blown back into your face if you're working around the heater. What do you get when you burn Rustoleum and mineral spirits? I have no idea...but I do know it will give you a hell of a buzz. Been there, done that, lost the brain cells, got the T-shirt.

Vented is the only way to go in a garage.

Phil

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've found that the best way to heat my garage was to move from Mich. to AZ.!! I never thought I would see the day I couldn't go bear foot in the summer! I am finding alot of ways to COOL a garage.

·
Registered
21,274 Posts
Keep in mind that a garage is a class 1 division 2 location meaning that combustable gases may be present. You need to keep what ever heater you use above 48" from the floor.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use a bottle top 45,000 BTU infrared radiant heater. Radiant heaters work great because they heat things like the floor, car, and tools. This heat doesn't blow out the door every time you go out. A space heater heats the air and while heating that quickly it takes a long time to build a sustained heat. Think cast iron radiator vs. forced hot air.

I wanted to put one of those tube infrared heaters in because it is sealed from the outside completely, fresh air in and vented out at the other end. However you need ceiling height to avoid becoming like fast food under the warmer. If you have the ceiling height, that is the ultimate IMHO. Also Insulation is the greatest think you can do for your garage, especially if someone else installs it.

I also have T.V., cable, broadband, and the obligatory fridge. I find myself just listening to toons when I work though, My kids watch Sponge bob on the T.V.

Try http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/index.php there's a lot of info about outfitting your garage there.

Andy

·
Registered
166 Posts
I went with in-floor radiant heat in my new garage. It is far better than the forced air sytems that I have used in the past.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts