Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Garage is up! I've got four walls and a roof. This weekend the windows go in, and the garage gets wrapped in tyvek. Monday, the shingles and siding get started. Also, I need to clean up all the crap lying around. The mess is driving me nuts. The constant rain hasn't helped either. FYI, the building is 30x60. I'll take some pics this weekend after cleanup.

I looked into garage paint and lighting. Home Depot has an epoxy paint from Behr. Anyone used it? I'll need 6 gallons of primer, and 6 gallons of paint - $200. SWMBO thinks it's a waste. She asked, "why paint the floor?" After all the usual answers don't work, I just said "I want it and will not budge." Yikes! That was Tuesday. We haven't discussed it since. I didn't even get a chance to bring up the $500 for HO light fixtures. I'll tip-toe through the topic again this weekend.

She thinks I'm going overboard. Perhaps I am. We're fast approaching $25K. That's before electric and heat!

I guess I'll get her a little something when this is over. She has been putting up me and my "projects" for quite a while.

Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hey sounds like you are going to have a great work shop.
But the one thing I would do is get a commercial epoxy floor paint, you'll never regret it ( trust me )
Now as for the wife's opinion about it, explain to hear it make's clean up so much easier and oil and grease does not penitrate , so you will not have a mess to worry about all the time. and for sure it won't tract onto your or anybodys shoes.
besides the fact that it looks so much better than plain concrete.
Oh'yes I'm sure she loves having carpet in the Bedrms , rather than hard floors, mention that to her.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
We want Pictures! We want Pictures!

My BF and I are talking marriage. I figure I'll get about 25-30k after the sale of my house (I'll be moving in with him - he has several acres), and I'm trying to convince my beloved that we need a two story pole barn with a lift. He only has a three car garage and between the two of us we currently have 7 cars (a number sure to increase when we move in together). He wants a brick sided garage (cha-ching!). Help me convince him.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Use a good floor epoxy for sure, I did and dont regret it one bit.. Except now Im obsessed with sweeping and mopping the floor cause it looks so nice!! The Behr and rustoleum floor stuff is ok for light use but junk for anyone doing car work..I watched my buddy roll his small block chevy on an engine stand and destroy his rustoleum epoxy coated floor. You might want to wait a while for the concrete to cure good before coating it... that'll buy you some time with the wife. Are you going to drywall the inside? Its alot of board for a garage your size but it would be a great place to work with a nice bright environment. Dont skimp on lighting and electrical outlets and a 50 amp 220 plug on both ends doesnt hurt either. Oh and dont forget the toilet, sink, fridge, cable TV and intercom between the house an garage ..LOL

LOL @ topless66, every guy needs a woman like you!!!! Doing the lobbying for a nice big garage..That doesnt even seem natural . You rule girl.! ::

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Behr stuff recommends 28 days to cure new concrete. I'll wait AT LEAST that long. My concrete was poured July 19th.

What kind of epoxy did you use? I've looked into "U-coatit". http://www.ucoatit.com/ucoathome.html Their job estimator gave me a quote of $834 for their standard finish. Add gloss and the quote goes to $1369.

SWMBO already gave the go ahead to drywall. She probably doesn't realize the amount we'll need.

As far as the rest: Water is in already - $650. So, the sink will be coming. Fridge is ready and waiting, I'm planning on running a cable for the satelite TV, SWMBO has told me for over a year to get the big screen out of he HER living room (I have just the spot for it), and the intercom is a done deal. Sorry, no toilet. My farmer neighbors would never let me hear the end of it. Besides, it'll give me a chance to go in the house and see the kids, LOL.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Do not use the Behr, it will not last. Get a good 2 part epoxy paint (not primer and paint). That is what I got and in 6 months it look like dog do.

My brother gpt a 2 part epoxy from sherwin-williams and it still look good 2 years later. He did have to touch it up where he drop some tools tha chiped the paint and concrete.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I'll be staying away from the Behr.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That reminds me, I need to get my pics developed and put on CD. I've added a deck and half the siding to mine. I'm hoping to finish my siding in the next week or two and get to work on the inside. I'm going the same route as you, epoxy floor paint, drywall, heat, but no water. City wouldn't allow that. Good luck! Roofing is pretty easy, just mark your lines every 4 rows or so with a chalk line and measure distance to the peak. Siding goes on fast, unless it's a 2 story building and you don't have pump jacks or have hired a sider... That's my standstill point.

Good luck! Show some pics! Need inspiration, look at mine. 1 year in and it's still coming along.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I used the u-coat it stuff.a little pricey but a very nice product !! I added the flakes to mine to break up the solid color, plus it helps hide any discoloration that might occur. It gives a very classy finish to a garage and I would never have another that was bare concrete.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Get as light a color for the floor as you can, as it will reflect light back up to the underside of the car.

Use a little sand (it's special for epoxy paint) to give you some texture roughness. The bare paint can be quite slick, particularly if you spill some liquids on it. I used too much sand, so I can't just mop the floor. I have to get on my hands and knees and use a scrub brush. Bad mistake.

Don't skimp on the paint quality and cost. A good paint job will last 10 years or more. You'll also have to prep the floor with muriatic acid: this etches the concrete to allow the paint to bite. The floor has to dry 5-7 days after this process before painting.

·
Registered
36,579 Posts
Check out your local Spartan Chemical distributor (most Janitorial/Sanitary supply houses). They have a great product called Spartan New Generation 50 Off White which is a 2-part high solids water-based epoxy which is applied with a short nap roller. It is necessary to etch the floor first, their product is Concrete Prep, and there is also an optional primer available, but not necessary. If you want, there is New Generation 100 Clear which is a 100% solids epoxy which you put on with a float and wear spikes, but it is self-leveling and looks like glass when done.

·
Registered
981 Posts
you just need to explain to her that painting or appling apoxy is cheaper than tile or carpet ! ::

1 - 12 of 12 Posts