Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I store my Mustang with it's cover (car is always clean underneath) at this lady's garage I know. What bothers me is that I've noticed during the summer, she leaves her garage open all the time to let in the breeze into her house. She insists on this and closes it each night or when it rains or when she has the a/c on. I'm concerned that this may cause undue moisture/rust on my car. Need I be concerned, or will this type of behavior cause my car to rust or metal to pit compared to having it in a garage that is closed all the time. I do leave my cover on, and it's always clean when I take it off.

Should I look elsewhere to keep this thing. It's only $25/month so it's hard to say "no", but to have to replace interior trim and and exterior rust it isn't worth it.

Thanks,
Troy

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Unless her garage is otherwise climate controlled, it may actually be better with the door open. Humidity is in the air whether or not the door is open, unless it is air conditioned. If she leaves it open to let the breeze into her house, then it is also letting air circulate around your car. I know that when my garage doors are closed, it is hot and humid inside. With them open, it is a lot less humid, or it at least seems that way.

Personally, I wouldn't pass up $25/month garage space for this.

Just my .02.

Frank

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I think she's doing you a favor with the air circulation. Exposure to theft may be a different deal. Just pull the rotor and put it in your pocket when you leave it.

G

·
0 Posts
I think the door open for air is a good thing. Bottom line though, if your not happy with what she wants to do with her property, then find something else. :p

·
Administrator
19,311 Posts
I KNOW it's a good thing. I kept a couple of motorcycles locked up in a fairly closed shed. I kept going out there, and removing their covers to find them absolutely dripping wet.
I got various kinds of vents, cut holes in the walls and never had the problem again. Just some simple air circulation was enough to do the the trick and they stayed nice and dry thereafter.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. I appreciate hearing that this isn't a bad thing for my car to have the door open. Regarding theft, it's in an "older folks" type of townhome development. This particular garage is well concealed in a turn around drive. I keep it covered and I also put "The Club" on it. Any of you tried pulling a steering wheel knows that it isn't as easy as Nicholas Cage makes it look, especially with that big stick in the way! I also don't tell anybody where I keep it, and they can't find it at my home if they look up where I live.

Troy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts