Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son Chris has a 72 Mach I. Yesterday he forgot to put his gas cap back on the car at the gas station. Needless to say, when he drove away... the gas cap hit the ground and possibly broke. Since he may need a new one it brings up the question...

Should the car have a screw on gas cap or the pop open kind?
The car came with the screw on kind.

Thanks,
MaryAnn

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
MaryAnn,
It'd be quickest and cheapest to get a screw on one. Temporarily you can use a $4 auto store cap. Just pop in to Pep Boys or K Mart or Wal Mart and get something to put on there otherwise gas will splash out every time you take off. (Ask me how I know all this /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
Then, give a call to CJ Pony Parts or Ponderosa (but they're closed til the 15th) or to The Paddock. I think they run around $50 for the screw on kind *WITH* a cable to keep it attached!
The pop opens are available but they're pricey...
Best of luck,
Doug

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
It came with a screw on type gas cap...not a pop open..by the way..it also is the type without the cable..I think Ford stopped using the cable in '70..my '72 Mach has one..no cable..my '70 has one with a cable..

·
Registered
657 Posts
My 71 has the cable on it. I thought all the non pop ups did. Either they stopped in 72, someone stuck one on mine, or someone stole yours.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ahhh....a conundrum. I wonder how many of the 71-73 folks on here have the cable?

·
Registered
199 Posts
i had one on my 73 but i removed it and sold to some guy named elvis or was it levis??
can't recall now
brain cells are going quick
what??

·
Registered
657 Posts
That explains it...he was my PO....

·
Registered
930 Posts
My VERY late 72 Mach1 had the cable one on it........ And my VERY late Coupe just had the twist.....Just to make it more confusing. The 2 cars were built 1 day apart from eachother.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts