Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is a dumb question but how to you fix the alignment of a 1966 gas cap

When my cap is tight, it's clocked about 90 deg past where it should so the emblem is sideways.

I think it's an original cap.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Baiscally, You make the Gas cap as tight as you can, and then back it up to make the emblem look straight...

How's that for an answer???!???.....lol....

It's the Truth!

They are all like that since day 1. Some align better than others...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Here's what I have......
Now, has the tank filler pipe been changed in some way?
Sorry, not sure why it's oriented incorrectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
So, the first picture.. the gas cap is not tightened yet?

The slots on the filler neck seem correct, really can only go one way..

Next, check your cap..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at the cap, I see there's no obvious gasket. I guess using one of the rubber gaskets I see at CJ's would make it tighten up sooner and align better?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I know why. It's not an Original Pipe. It's a Reproduction one....and a cheap one at that. Original '65-'66 Gas Fill Tubes have (5) bosses on the front lips of the Filler Tube. Yours has none....because its a Cheaper Taiwan Repro filler tube. ACP makes good repro ones...like the originals.... or just buy a darn Original one here...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-5-1965-1966-Mustang-Fastback-GT-Conv-Shelby-ORIG-FUEL-TANK-FILLER-NECK-TUBE-/152552251048

But that's not your biggest problem... You have the wrong year Gas Cap. You have a 1964 1/2 Gas Cap....with no security bail wire.

Here's what the "correct" 1966 Gas Cap should look like below.. It's what should be on your 1966 year Mustang. Are you sure that you have a 1966 Mustang?!?? Let's see the front and sides and dash of your car!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1966-Ford-Mustang-Gas-Cap-Chrome-Twist-on-with-cable-Free-Shipping/262740630979?fits=Year:1966|Model:Mustang&hash=item3d2c8fddc3:g:taEAAOSwcwhVN-xs

Tony K.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looking at the cap, I see there's no obvious gasket. I guess using one of the rubber gaskets I see at CJ's would make it tighten up sooner and align better?
You should have that seal, but I suspect it won't solve your issue. From memory, the cap only rotates about 90° once engaged into the neck slots.. so for your cap to come back 90°, there will be minimal bite.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My cap cap rotates at least 180 so maybe a gasket will help it snug up sooner and still have a good amount of engagement.

I'm in Canada so a bit of a pain getting a gasket. $5 part and $25 shipping from CJ. I'll keep looking...

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
My cap cap rotates at least 180 so maybe a gasket will help it snug up sooner and still have a good amount of engagement.

I'm in Canada so a bit of a pain getting a gasket. $5 part and $25 shipping from CJ. I'll keep looking...
Check with National Parts Depot for the correct gasket and ask them to just mail it in a regular envelope, or purchase a correct cap for your car that includes the gasket and attaching bailing wire.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Seems everyone thinks Uncle Buck and kenash own the same vehicle...

Allen
Thanks Allen, I was waiting for that shoe to drop.

BTW, for those that missed the details of this,......
Yes, I do have a gasket behind the flange and it is the original filler pipe. Being an early style, it does not have the bailing attachment.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
1965 (Not '64 1/2) and 1966 Gas caps are set up like this below... The diagram below shows you how to set up the Wire Bail Security wore on 1965 and 1966 Gas caps.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where are you? I am coming to Toronto in a few weeks and have no problem throwing a cap in my suitcase
Im about an hour north of a Toronto. Thanks for the offer but all I need is the gasket so will call and try and get one dropped in the mail.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems everyone thinks Uncle Buck and kenash own the same vehicle...

Allen
Lol, my gas cap question sure seemed to create some confusion.

So the record is straight, my car is a 66. It has the original filler neck, gas cap and cable. It is also red though...

Thanks all for the info.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
"So the record is straight, my car is a 66. It has the original filler neck, gas cap and cable. It is also red though...

Thanks all for the info."

That's what happens when you don't post pics of your car.....lol... It gets confused with pics other people post...lol...

It looks like Kenash will be hunting for an Original Filer tube then for his '65......lol..

Too many Red Mustangs.....lol...

Tony K.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts