Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this makes me nuts with my gas cap not lining up properly. The tube is all one piece so no way to turn it to move the full lock position and I’m not seeing anyway to adjust the cap itself. What am I missing here?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Someone has rotated the bail wire so the cap wouldn't contact the bumper when removed. When it is in the correct orientation, the cap will lay on the rear bumper. This is bad design as it eventually scratches both the bumper and the cap. Some people carry around a rag to put between them when pumping gas.

·
Premium Member
5,769 Posts
The result of years of making sure it's on tight, the filler tube flanges have been bent inward allowing the cap to over-rotate and look all doofinated. I'd take some pliers and gradually bend them back to where the cap only tightens to where you want with the running horse upright.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Or do this...

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The bailing wire bolt should go thru the screw hole at the 5 o'clock position I believe and that will rotate your cap to the right position when tight.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
The thickness of the gasket will also affect where the cap ends up as it gets tight. My 65 cap was much closer after I replaced the gasket... of course mine wasn't near as far off as yours...

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
On my 67 coupe, the big slot and the bail wire bolt are in the 5 O'clock position.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm Just stumped...

The slot on the filler tube itself cant move, the slot on the cap itself does not move and I am not seeing anyplace else to place bail wire can be attached. Nothing inside the cap itself is able to move. I thought maybe the innards could pry out and I could reset but that does not appear possible.

I took some goofy angle pictures yesterday morning before I left for work. These pictures show more accurate what I'm seeing. To me it looks like the cap itself is the issue.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you can't twist the center of the cap back (try a larger channel lock?) I think you're going to end up getting a new gas cap. The location of the bail wire bolt (which does appear to be correct) is not affecting the alignment of the cap.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Just took a picture of my cap inside and it is exactly like yours. the solution was actually a few posts back. Look at the upper left of your last pic of the tube. The ear on the inside is slightly bent in. Bend it back so it is pointing straight down the tube. Probably need to do the same for the other side.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Might need to go back along the arc too to get the rotation right.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha got it!!!!

Channel locks and twisting the inside of the cap as suggested above. Figured I was on my way to needing a new cap so if it broke I wouldn’t be that upset but with a little persuasion it turned and now she is lined up.
Thank you to all who gave suggestions.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Not trying to be a downer here, but just realize when you replace the cap the issue will return.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not trying to be a downer here, but just realize when you replace the cap the issue will return.
I tried bending the tabs on the tube and it still wasn’t lined up. At least this stops from catching my eye whenever I walk behind the car for the time being. Main focus right now is getting my “new” 67 toploader cleaned up and painted so I can get it installed in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Spring is-a-coming! Good luck on the tranny install. Hardest part is bench-pressing it onto place. If you go with a roller bearing instead of the bronze bushing in the back of the crank, test fit it on the input shaft while it is out of the car. Those can sometimes be a little tight and will keep the tranny from mounting easily.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts