Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm taking the big leap into power, gas and everything low voltage in the (barn) garage. That means a 40 foot, 24" deep trench from house to garage which has to be dug by hand due to the co-location of existing utilities. I'll be within inches of SBC and ComEd markings. I've procrastinated long enough. I thought I'd post for some inspiration or some good humored ribbing about putting this off for.... a year. I'll start at 4:30-ish and continue until dark and pick up tomorrow, barring lightning tonight. It needs to be done by Saturday, my own self imposed deadline. I want drywall by September! (2005 probably)

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Why the big rush? Sit back relax, there is aways time tomorrow! ::

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
Well, if you can put it off until January, there is more time. No car shows see. But the ground is harder.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Hire some neighborhood kids to do it! Put the TV outside, get your lawn chair, cooler of beer, and watch the game. I mean the kids. You don't want them hitting the cable lines! You'd lose the game! Have fun.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
John,
Great to hear your moving forward. That's a lot of drywall your going to need. But, the insulation is going to be costly too! Are you going drywall to the floor? Or, are you going OSB or plywood for the first four feet?

I got all my electric in a month ago. I put in new service. That way the Electric Co. foot the bill from the box to the shed. No gas yet. I think that will have to wait until next year. I went with the daylight bulbs. More expensive, but much brighter. And, the cars look cool in that light. My Home Depot didn't have enough bulbs, so I found some on the web. Turned out to be half the price too. www.1000bulbs.com.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man am I beat! About half done in 2 nights of digging. 12 inches of black dirt over another 15 inches of wet clay.

Weather permitting, I should finish Friday night by midnight...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hey,
You have worked so hard it's time to sit back and relax! It's supposed to be nice this weekend!........You still want us to help with the procrastination thoughts don't you? ::

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My son was helping, but putting dirt back in the hole is not really appreciated. He only likes digging the loose stuff and can't handle the pick. At least he keeps me company.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I was thinking of hosting tech meetings... I guess they can always wait too?!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hitting the cable lines is my job! So far I've failed at my job, but am happy to report that sometimes there is success in failure. The kids in the neighborhood are so lazy they won't cut their own lawns!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd bet the wet clay I'm having to pick axe through would just shatter and be easier to shovel up... but imagine the recoil on that. My hands would hurt for weeks instead of just days.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to use greenboard for the lowest course, put a vapor barrier behind it and do my best to keep it sealed at the bottom so moiture doesn't wick it's way up the walls. Once the upstairs is done, I have to call someone about a pool table for those post tech meeting socials, but I'm not sure who?

I'd still rather have your first floor as my first floor!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The only guy I know for a pool table requires his presence at an extensive break in period. Of course you know a guy can work up quite a sweat movin' that slate.

But, I think you may be looking just a tad too far ahead.

Now, get your butt out there and dig!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts