Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 mustang. My gas gauge works but does't regester full or Empty. When I fill up the gauge goes
up to 3/4 full and when Empty the gauge is at 1/4 full. What would cause this? Is it the needle guage in
the dash? or the guage (float) in the tank? And how do I fix it either way?
Thank you DJ

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
is it a repop fuel sending unit? if so this may be your problem.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi - I just posted my experience to another member, but hear goes.... The secret is in the float. Most Ford sending units hav a brass looking float that attaches to the sending unit. My daughter used to have a Pinto. I went to the Ford dealer to try and get a new sending unit. They didn't have it, but they told me the float is something they stock. If you don't change the float, it will start taking on gas and not "Floating" like it should. The Pinto float was less than $5 and worked great. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
to check gauge momentarily (few seconds)ground wire at sending unit and note full scale deflection. if so then sending unit is bad or needs cleaning. i just removed mine and cleaned wire wound resistor inside housing with fine sandpaper/steel wool and then checked resistance from one end to other noting no discontinuity - goes from about 10 to 82 ohms. seen many failures of repro units here on Forum and original looks well built. by way check that float isn't flooded and if you buy new sending unit take a look at AMK - they advertise one that has better construction but was priced a bit higher.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts