Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done talking to the guy I'm buying my '65 Fastback from about gas as it appeared to be on Empty when we test drove it, he just now mentioned that it doesn't work and he's not sure why.

How much would it cost at max to replace out / repair the fuel gauge? And where can I get said parts from?

I'm trying to decide how much should be taken out of the purchase price for this as he didn't mention it originally.

'00 Mercury Cougar - Hunk of Sh*t (Anyone wanna buy it? come on you know you want to)

'65 Mustang Fastback (my first Muscle Car, give me some slack I'm 19 and dumb enough to try to get into fixing up an old car)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, it's either the gauge, the wiring or the sending unit in the tank. worst case scenario is all of these are bad. You can find used gauges in clusters for like $30-50, probably find an NOS gauge for around $50-75. The sending units are relatively cheap. An original Ford costs around $75-100 and a repro is around $35-50. The wiring to the rear of the car is all one main harness and is available in reproduction for about $120.

With this in hand, worst case scenario is only like $200.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the gas actually flows right and it drives okay does that help determine what it could be?

I'm not sure it's a critical thing to have working right away but definately going to add it to the list of todo's I have for the car.

I'm going to take the car to a mechanic that i know locally right after purchasing and have him see what he thinks it is.

'00 Mercury Cougar - Hunk of Sh*t (Anyone wanna buy it? come on you know you want to)

'65 Mustang Fastback (my first Muscle Car, give me some slack I'm 19 and dumb enough to try to get into fixing up an old car)

·
1,210 Posts
In a word, no. The fuel flow is not attributed to the gauge. Like Charles said, the sending unit tells the
gauge what the level is in the tank. Of course the wiring connects it all together.

Later,

'66 289 2bbl. Sauterne Gold Connvertible

Shaummy

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, it's either the gauge, the wiring or the sending unit in the tank. worst case scenario is all of these are bad. You can find used gauges in clusters for like $30-50, probably find an NOS gauge for around $50-75. The sending units are relatively cheap. An original Ford costs around $75-100 and a repro is around $35-50. The wiring to the rear of the car is all one main harness and is available in reproduction for about $120.

With this in hand, worst case scenario is only like $200.

Just kidding, Charles!

69 Royal Maroon Convertable
2001 GT Bullitt on order

1 - 6 of 6 Posts