Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay guys I have a dash wiring question

I am removing some crap behind the dash that was wired into my gas gauge to change voltage.

I am confused on a wire for the petrol gauge

There are two wires coming off the gauge. One is yellow and is a feed from the sender. I have that identified

The other wire coming off the gauge which is black I can't figure out. It was tapped into some gubbins behind the dash mentioned above as well as tapped to a wire going to the voltage regulator on the bottom of the gauge pod this shows 12v. I figure it needs switched voltage 5v?

Can I also confirm the wires running to the Voltage regulator. One leads to the temp gauge (with another black wire running into loom) and the other is a switched 12v?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Hey Pmustang! On the surface we in the USA and you in the United Kingdom both (for the most part) speak english. I understand that in Britain hood is the folding roof on a vert. Petrol is gas. Bonnet is the engine cover. What the hell is gubbins?

Other than my smart a comment not much help...I'm a hammer mechanic!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
You should have a 12V feed to the IVR. From the IVR 5-6V is distributed to all the gauges. From each gauge a signal wire goes to the senders.

That is for a stock setup.

From what I recall, you used to have a 3 wire sender which required a 12V supply. The picture you posted in another thread of that distribution block you are talking about showed how to provide an isolated 6V supply for the gauge, a 12V supply for the sender.

If you are using the stock gauges I see no need for the block any longer unless your new sender (not sure what you bought) requires a stable 6V going through it. I assume it must because that whole setup was overkill to begin with if it doesn't. If you can get a wiring diagram for the new sender you bought I can probably help you out.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
09Frank. Thank you. I am trying to take it back to stock at the moment.

I have removed the distribution block as it is no longer needed and I hate excess wiring. I have went with an isspro gas sender that will be here in a month or so

My IVR has two wires. One coming off the pulsing side splits into two and one of these split wires goes to the temp gauge and the other goes into the loom. I was thinking that one going into the loom led to my sender in the trunk but that wire shows zero voltage. The other wire attached to the IVR appears to be 12v switched. I say appears as it is spliced in several places and its color does not match the wire it is spliced to in the loom.

I still have no idea where the other side of the fuel gauge was getting its power from. You say it should be getting 5-6v from the IVR. I wonder where that wire is?

Everything else looks fairly factory. Nothing else chopped or spliced.

Cheers. Peter

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay here we go

This is pretty darn good

http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/images/Gauges.gif

Just can't see where the Voltage reg feeds the gauge on mine? Hmmmmm.

I need to figure which wire the Voltage regulator is supposed to feed the fuel gauge with. Two come off the VR, one to temp and one to loom?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
09Frank. Thank you. I am tring to take it back to stock at the moment.

I have removed the distribution block as it is no longer needed and I hate excess wiring. I have went with an isspro gas sender that will be here in a month or so

My IVR has two wires. One coming off the pulsing side splits into two and one of these split wires goes to the temp gauge and the other goes into the loom. I was thinking that one going into the loom led to my sender in the trunk but that wire shows zero voltage. The other wire attached to the IVR appears to be 12v switched. I say appears as it is spliced in several places and its color does not match the wire it is spliced to in the loom.

I still have no idea where the other side of the fuel gauge was getting its power from. You say it should be getting 5-6v from the IVR. I wonder where that wire is?

Everything else looks fairly factory. Nothing else chopped or spliced.

Cheers. Peter
Even I knew what gubbins was. I'm still a little confused by pissed!

Assuming you have the stock 65 mustang bezel with temp gauge and fuel gauge, the diagram is attached here below. The wire off the IVR that goes into the loom used to go to the fuel gauge. Are you sure you don't have a spare black wire with green stripe lurking around in there?

As you can see, the sender wire was the only wire that went back to the tank sender.

So the loop was IVR->gauge->sender->ground (via body contact from sender)

Isn't the sender on the tanks tank mounted from the top? How will you use a stock sender?

Not sure which Isspro sender you are using and couldn't find any instructions for them. Looks like the top tank mounted units have two electrical posts and are available in 6V or 12 V versions. Without the wiring diagram for the sender we're at a standstill.

B

·
0 Posts
Okay guys I have a dash wiring question
oh god...you again!

I am confused on a wire for the petrol gauge
wow isn't that a surprise?

There are two wires coming off the gauge. One is yellow and is a feed from the sender.
it goes tpo the right side of gauge as you sit in drivers seat.

The other wire coming off the gauge which is black I can't figure out. It was tapped into some gubbins
remove gubbins if you dare but it might be there for a reason!

behind the dash mentioned above as well as tapped to a wire going to the voltage regulator on the bottom of the gauge pod
it goes from the fuel gauge to the left post of the gauge next to it then to the inst voltage regulator. see wiring diapram i have so magnanimously supplied for you.

this shows 12v. I figure it needs switched voltage 5v?
sounds about right.

Can I also confirm the wires running to the Voltage regulator.
no.

One leads to the temp gauge (with another black wire running into loom) and the other is a switched 12v?
holy c"__p what did you say? i'll have to look.

wiring instruments

http://www.midlife66.com/wiring/66instr.jpg

wiring all

http://www.midlife66.com/wiring/wiring.html

x

B

·
0 Posts
Even I knew what gubbins was. I'm still a little confused by pissed!
oh frank, will you never learn? there are some questions that are better left unasked!

I need an english translation book.
Flog=sell
Pissed=drunk
Taking the piss= making fun
dizzy=distributor
Hood=convertible top
shocker=Shock
bonnet=Hood
Wing=fender

pissed = something i probably did on a cop car

taking a piss = see answer above

dizzy = what i felt like before, during and after taking a piss on the cop car

shocker = someone seeing me taking a piss on the cop car.

hood = something i think they threw me over after taking a piss on the cop car.

wing = something i wish i had to escape with after taking a piss on the cop car.

bonnet = well i didn't get one of those but i did get a nice bright orange 1 piece jump suit to wear.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Taking the piss is making fun of someone. I.e. Barnett (which is a haircut but that's a whole other thread). Is taking the piss out of me on this thread.

That wiring schematic is the dogs, thanks

"Dogs" aka "dogs danglies" aka "the nuts" aka Awesome. As in, when I get my car sorted it will be the dogs.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now why in gods name does that second wire from the IVR go back into the loom? Will investigate

Hey, another question. In my 67. I seem to remember if you undid the speedo cable and disconnected two plugs the whole dash came out, I guess the early cars are not like that. I'd love to pull the whole pod out to mess with this stuff.

Cheers. Peter

B

·
0 Posts
Taking the piss is making fun of someone. I.e. Barnett (which is a haircut but that's a whole other thread). Is taking the piss out of me on this thread.

That wiring schematic is the dogs, thanks

"Dogs" aka "dogs danglies" aka "the nuts" aka Awesome. As in, when I get my car sorted it will be the dogs.
OMG stop, please stop, i'm chokin here. i don't have a clue what the heck you are sayin. its so "bleepin" hilarious. you're killen me!

frank for the love of god, please don't ask him for anymore word translations.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, Barnett. On your schematic.

It shows the split wire from the IVR. One wire goes to temp gauge and the other goes into the loom. That's how mine is. Any idea where that pulsed wire going into the loom is heading.

So it also shows a jumper wire from the temp gauge to the fuel gauge. I don't have that jumper. Its a single wire from the IVR to the temp where it terminates
Line is a 65 and your schem is for a 66 though

Cheers gents. Peter

B

·
0 Posts
Okay, Barnett. On your schematic.

It shows the split wire from the IVR. One wire goes to temp gauge and the other goes into the loom. That's how mine is. Any idea where that pulsed wire going into the loom is heading.

So it also shows a jumper wire from the temp gauge to the fuel gauge. I don't have that jumper. Its a single wire from the IVR to the temp where it terminates
Line is a 65 and your schem is for a 66 though

Cheers gents. Peter
ok i'll look. dous the wire from ivr to gauge look factory

does it look like someone cut it off to the second gauge?

your car is a 65?l

B

·
0 Posts
65 2 wires come off the ivr from same post, 1 to fuel 1 to temp

the other post on sir goes to post on back of switch which is 12v

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The wire from the IVR looks factory.

I did not see evidence of cutting

The only cut wire in evidence is the 12v to the IVR. Has a different color wire attached to a black wire coming from loom.

This car has a ton of added stuff. Vintage air and a 5.0 FI engine. I know it was a bare shell project through three owners.

Peter

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
65 2 wires come off the ivr from same post, 1 to fuel 1 to temp

the other post on sir goes to post on back of switch which is 12v

So that concurs with franks Schem.

Strange. Mine looks like your Schem. Wonder where the wire coming off the IVA and going into the loom on your Schem goes? Previous poster said it goes to fuel gauge which would make sense but why go into the loom to go a few inches?

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts