Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Gas Gauge Indicator on my dashboard only goes up 1/2 way when the tank is full. It then drops down to Empty in no time, yet I still have plenty of gas.

What could be the problem? Is there a needle adjustment screw on the back of the gas gauge that I can turn or would I have to investigate the Gas Level Sensor in the gas tank? Or any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
do the other gauges work ok?? if so then remove the wire at the fuel tank sending unit & ground it. the gas gauge then should read full. if not the sender is probably bad. the float also could have absorbed the fuel and be heavy giving a false reading.

·
Registered
739 Posts
do the other gauges work ok?? if so then remove the wire at the fuel tank sending unit & ground it. the gas gauge then should read full. if not the sender is probably bad. the float also could have absorbed the fuel and be heavy giving a false reading.
No disrespect intended, but I think C7ZZ made a typo. If you remove the wire from the sender and ground it, the guage should go to full. If not, then the guage is bad, or a short in a wire. If it does go to full when you ground that wire, then your sender and/or float is bad. ( I had a similar question when I got my car. grounded that wire, guage went to full, replaced sender and guage works now)

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I think you meant to say if the gage reads full with the wire grounded the sender is probably bad. Oops I type too slow!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts