Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a '66 convertible mustang in California and driving it to Charleston SC. The trip is a little under 2500 miles. The owner suggested the car got 27 mpg on the highway. Does this sound right? If so, then I'm looking at about 93 gallons to make the trip from sea to shining sea...which is going to be a great time for me to bond with the car. I'm figuring on driving a little over 800 miles a day...total of 3 days.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
That's a lot of driving, but would be an awesome trip. Sounds possible... I don't know much about the 6s, but it would depend a lot on the tranny and rear gears I would think.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would say 27 mpg sounds doable. As stated it depends on the trans (overdrive t-5 ,etc.) and rear ratio. Sounds like a great trip.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
That's not unreasonable, but I would consider it on the high end of the scale. Condition of engine and tune will have a lot to do with it.
Edit: I would be more concerned with having a AAA card than gas mileage buying a car that far away.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Make sure you bring a lot of tools and spare parts for things that typically break. Sounds like you are buying a car sight unseen? That's a lot more faith than I would show my car's previous owner to buy one and immediately drive cross country.

If you can, schedule to do it in 4 days. Why rush? Enjoy it! :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Years ago, I had a 66 coupe with the 200 6cyl. The best I ever got was around 23 mpg. That was even after a new short block and broke in. As they said above, lots of variables though. Definitely a tool kit and some spares. Have a great trip.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
sounds awfully high to me,drove one in my territory servicing office equipment for about 5 years-6cyl stick and best i got was around 18 mpg but mine had a lot of mileage on it. todays fuel with ethenoal probably would yield less. glad to hear someone else is not a chicken to try something like i used to do all the time. while living in vicksburg ms my dad would buy one or 2 early convertibles for me every year up in ct and i would fly up and drive back sometimes towing another and these were 20 years old or more then but had some rust . i remember once my wife was killing ants the whole trip back because the car had been parked under an oak tree. another time she could see the road under her feet. i still wonder how shes put up with me for 43years. wes

·
Registered
442 Posts
I agree, closer to 18-20mpg if you're driving 75-80mph. 27 might be doable if you are going under 55mph like grampa!

Get the tires, belts and hoses checked. Replace them if there's any doubt. Rubber starts to go bad after 8-10years, even if the tread looks good. They'll be really unsafe at 80mph
and they get extreamly HOT driving long distance esp thru the desert.
Classic cars usually don't get driven much, so the tires may look new but actually be very old. Check the date code on the tires, or ask the owner for the receipt.
A blowout could be very bad in any car,,, esp a 66 convert.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Mustangs of this vintage are not aerodynamic, not one bit. I'll bet you'll get 22 to 23 if it's otherwise in decent mechanical shape.

John

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
I got 23-25 highway with my 200/C4, a few better with the 200/3-speed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We normally get just a bit better than 20 MPG in our 200, 3 speed manual.

When something breaks, just remember that it is all part of the fun and the "bonding" experience. And yes, something will break. I would suggest allowing yourself the extra day to account for being stuck in some small town in the middle of nowhere trying to figure out how to fix it.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I would figure no more than 20 just to be on the safe side. Furthermore, 800 per day is really pushing it; both for you and the car. Realistically, figure about 500 per day and have fun. I drove a '56 T-Bird from Detroit to LA (abt 2000) and 4 days was about right. Don't push it - just enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I get and average of 22mpg highway with mine, it has a 2:83 rear axle, at 70mph its turning about 2400-2500 RPM.
Good luck on your adventure!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Our '67 convertible typically gets around 24-25mpg (3-speed manual, 3.20 rear gears).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts