Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back in from Dallas. While down there one of the guys wanted to eat at Gas Monkey so we Ubered over there for lunch. Not a bad place, pretty busy for a mid day afternoon. Food was good, not outstanding but not bad at all. Gift shop had plenty of over priced T shirts, long and short sleeve, hoodies, mechanics shirts etc.
Not a place I would go out of my way to visit but good place to eat if in the neighbor hood. Actually had a couple of good eats while I was there, Goat Rodeo and Ferris Wheelers was close to the hotel and had great food. Ferris Wheelers had some of the best brisket ever.
Not sure how close we were to the Gas Monkey Garage but I didn't feel any great desire to check it out.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
One thing to check off the bucket list. I want to go to Texas to do a BBQ crawl. Hit as many of the places like Muller's, Salt lick, Aaron's, etc. that I could.

·
Dimples
3,516 Posts
One thing to check off the bucket list. I want to go to Texas to do a BBQ crawl. Hit as many of the places like Muller's, Salt lick, Aaron's, etc. that I could.
Thats an adventure worth going on. Lots of amazing options. I truly am spoiled here in Fort Worth. There are half a dozen world class choices within 5 miles of my office.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
We've got some good BBQ over here in the Carolinas, but never, ever, in my life have I had Brisket so fall apart tender and delicious as I've had while in Texas. I think Hard 8 is one of the places we went to? I've never liked brisket before, it's always been dry and tough, but damn... it was recommended by a local so we tried it. I've given it another chance over here in the Carolinas, and it's not the same. Our pulled pork is pretty fantastic, but that brisket...

And if anyone was wondering, GMBG has nothing to do with Gas Monkey. Good ole RR just license's out the name. He actually recently sued the guy running the joint because the license agreement ran out and he was still using the name.

·
Dimples
3,516 Posts
Yeah, I dig a Carolina pig pickin’ but there’s something magical about proper brisket. I visited a friend who recently moved to Minnesota and was shocked that Costco didn’t have 30 briskets to choose from like we do here. He had to make friends with a local butcher to acquire them. His favorite hobby besides building hot rods is feeding Texas BBQ to the Minnesota folks and watching their eyes roll back in their heads. Lol

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
My first experience with Texas BBQ was in Huntsville AL. A tiny hole in the wall called Chuckwagon. Run by a tall Texan complete with hat - it was a cool place with barnwood exterior and cowboy stuff inside. Home-made everything right down to the sauces, sausages, baked beans even the pies. The brisket is the best I have ever had, he cooks it 12 hours but puts his ribs on the rack above so the juices drip down onto the brisket. Its funny but great BBQ is a true and quite literal eye-rolling endorphin rush. Its a physical experience that is demi-orgasmic. The first time I left there I felt like I had lost my virginity and now understood what REAL BBQ was all about, its not a sauce on a steak...

I have been eating vegetarian - close to vegan (cant give up cheese) for years now, but when I go to Huntsville, I visit Chuckwagon...

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Yea, we "have" it here, but in general, I'd say it's not all that popular (I think it's because it's just not cooked/served right). Very few BBQ joints even offer it. As I mentioned above, it's usually some sort of dry rub that's not tender and doesn't fall apart. More times than not, when I've tried it here, it's been "chewy".

Another great thing I like about where I live is the sauces. Between NC, SC, and GA they all use different bases and offer all sorts of styles. Vinegar :sick:, mustard, ketchup, sweet, even cheerwine (one of my favorites).

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Ooh you had to bring cheerwine into the equation. We used to bring that stuff back to MD by the cases. We'd catch the delivery driver and order x number of cases to pick up from him the next week. Bottled by RC, but the RC up here can't/won't get it. Never thought of a cheerwine based BBQ sauce. Your right about the choices of sauces around your area. Ketchup based, Mustard, and Vinegar are a few types that come to mind. Whole hog PP is definitely a treat and has a slightly different taste than PP that is done from just the Boston Butt or Picnic shoulder. The Pit in Raleigh is great, don't waste your time at a place called BBQ King. They try to pass fried chicken dipped in a Texas Pete type sauce as BBQ'ed chicken. Another thing you all have down there that we can't get up here is yellow eyed peas, brought about 58 lbs. back last time I made a trip down there. Should've seen the looks we were getting stopping by all the Bi-Lo's and Win Dixie's clearing there shelves off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts