Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not asking how to adjust the gas pedal. All I need to know is, is there a specific reason that the pedal has to be at 4 to 4 1/2"? I found a medium for my throttle linkage and kickdown linkage but it leaves my pedal at 3 3/4". But we checked and the pedal still allows for WOT so as far as I'm concerned, everything is okay, I was just wondering if there was some other reason that I was overlooking at why it HAS to be at 4 to 4 1/2"?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The carpet will sit much higher than the bare floor plus the firewall pad, so you may have a bit of a problem that will prevent you from reaching WOT once the carpet is installed.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True. I'll have to address that issue when I get to it(if it even becomes an issue).

I can get the pedal to 4 to 4 1/2", but when I do, it leaves too much slack in the kickdown cable to pull it at WOT. With all the aftermarket or "repro" stuff on the car, it's hard to tell what is causing the problem. My only thought is the bellcrank(pedal) assembly isn't exactly like an original, or my measurements are just thrown off because I have new floor pans and whoever installed them didn't do it properly. It can be the Holley though I wouldn't think because there were Holley's on some of these cars back in the 60's and they were fine. And I don't think it's the kickdown cable as it measures the same as an original(well, mine is 1/8" longer, but I don't think that would make THAT much of a difference). And I don't think it's my TCP kickdown linkage because I CAN adjust it to allow the pedal height to be at 4 1/2", the only problem then is that as I said before, it leaves to much slack in the kickdown cable.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Only two important things are that you can reach WOT and that your kickdown operates as it should--with the carpet and floormats in the car. If they do, you should be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts