Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the gas tank have to be completely empty in order to remove and replace sending unit on a 65 coupe?

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
does the gas tank have to be completely empty in order to remove and replace sending unit on a 65 coupe?
Based on the location, the fuel level needs to be pretty low. However, I suppose if you jacked up the rear pushing any fuel left in the tank to the front, you could remove the sender.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Based on the location, the fuel level needs to be pretty low. However, I suppose if you jacked up the rear pushing any fuel left in the tank to the front, you could remove the sender.
Uh, don't you mean jack up the front of the car so the fuel goes to the back of the tank? The sending unit is in the front of the tank.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Uh, don't you mean jack up the front of the car so the fuel goes to the back of the tank? The sending unit is in the front of the tank.
OOPS!, Yes, I stand corrected. I was looking at the sending unit in a spare tank I have on the shelf, not thinking of the orientation. Yes, jack up the front.
My apologies for any confusion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My tank does have a drain plug....so I think I will drain it down...not sure how much gas is in tank

·
Registered
107 Posts
My tank does have a drain plug....so I think I will drain it down...not sure how much gas is in tank
Hopefully yours will come out. The one in my '66 was stuck so badly that the welded nut on the inside broke free. The gas did drain out, just not the way it was supposed to. It wasn't a big deal in this case, since I was replacing the original old tank with a SS one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts