Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '67 GTA fastback with a 390. After I drive it, I get a strong gas smell. It seems to come from the gas cap area. There are no drips or signs of any leaks. Newer cars have vacuum hooked up to the tank to get rid of the vapors. Is this a normal occurance with these cars?

G

·
0 Posts
I believe that it is; if I'm not mistaken the gas cap is designed to be able to vent air in & out to keep the tank from collapsing. Both of my Mustangs have good gas caps & new tanks/sending units/hoses/etc with no leaks, and I have the same smell.

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
When I used to drive a '65 'Stang or my parent's '65 Ford wagon. The gasoline smell would be strongest when the tank was full or nearly empty. Wagon did it since it was brand new. Weird, huh?

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Gas tanks usually rust out on the top first. Tiny little pin holes just enough to stink
the place up. Also the gas fill to tank hose can dry up and loose flexibility. The effects
of being hit in the rear end a long time ago could be showing up now. Check into these possibilities.
jimbo

M.C.A.# 50000
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575692&a=11979479&p=43517165.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Filler pipe...the clamps could need tightening/replacing, the filler pipe itself could need redoing, (an easy job)

OR the Gas Cap. got any cracks in the seal?

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a 1967 -289 . I have replaced the hose, hose clamps
and even made an additional gasket for the cap to seal with
and I still get as strong smell..........

·
Registered
330 Posts
This is pretty much normal on all old Fords I have ever owned.
I would suggest checking the fuel hose and clamps at the filler neck though,I did find mine were loose and the hose extremely dry when I first got my Stang.

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right Convertible!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
The fuel tank caps are vented. Hence you smell gasoline.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts