Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Got a Holley 600 part #4160 electric choke, and it's driving me nuts. It's flooding and spitting out of the vent of the carb. I replaced and checked the floats and they were good, needle and seat are good. I know my timing is set and this is a motor under 1500 miles on it.

I had this same problem before and the mechanic said it was the wire harness from the ignition switch to the coil. Since then, it was working with no problems until a couple weeks ago, I drove it in the morning with no problems, went to the store for a couple hours in another car, and came back and it is having the same problem. I usually take my ignition coil wire off for safety purpose when I leave the car for a long time. The question is, I'm ruling out the carb issue, so can it be a bad ignition switch that's cause my car to flood/not start? It cranks and TRIES to start but won't. My dad said he read somewhere that someone had the same issue, replaced the switch and his car worked. I did try another coil wire and that wasn't it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the carb is flooding . the fuel is running into the intake, flooding the cylinders and making it difficult if not impossible to start. Do you have a mechanical or electric fuel pump? If electric- do you have a pressure regulator? Sometime- but not always the pressure from an unregulated electric pump CAN push open the needle allowing the Carb fuel bowls to over flow. Check the site holes in the carb when cranking and see if they are spilling over, if so , the needle may be sticking open s little or being pushed off its seat by fuel pressure. No electrical problem will make fuel spill out of a carb.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
It spits gas when its NOT running? Or when trying to start it, or when it is started and running? Do you have an electric fuel pump? I can't see how a switch would do thisunless you have an elec FP or unless the electric choke is stuck on or not pulling off. I am not familiar with that carb though.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea. It spits out when I'm cranking it. It will not start. As for the fuel pump, I'm running a new stock OEM mechanical pump. I replaced that just to see if it was pushing too much juice but it wasn't. Just confused on what's wrong with it. I'm waiting for the rain to go away so I can start doing some volt reading, making sure I'm getting the full 12 going to the coil. Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll recheck the carb again. Ugh!

·
Registered
12 Posts
1 you have a bad or stuck float in the carb

2 you have crap in the fuel line causing the seat to stay open

3 you ignition as nothing to do with this problem

the only reason fuel come out the top vent on a holley carb is too much gas in the bowl
and then gas will pour unregulated into the engine

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm clueless on how they would get stuck. I tested the floats and they weren't leaking. Is it possible I might have to rebuild the carb with new floats, regardless of having only 1500 miles on it? I don't have that side screw on mine. I was thinking the fuel line maybe might be clogged up, that it's backing up the fuel and then just shooting it fast to the carb. I know it's the original fuel line. I did check the float adjustment. I had to adjust the primary, but the secondary was ok.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
If you don't drive the car much the o-rings on the needle and seat assembly have a tendency to dry out, lose their sealing ability and fuel gets past them. The needle itself rarely wears out. If there's a problem with the needle itself it's probably got some dirt or other crud in it.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you don't drive the car much the o-rings on the needle and seat assembly have a tendency to dry out, lose their sealing ability and fuel gets past them. The needle itself rarely wears out. If there's a problem with the needle itself it's probably got some dirt or other crud in it.

Yea. I've already changed those and checked the secondary and it's still good. Thinking of swapping out the floats just to see if that is the problem.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If it is flooding when you are trying to start it put your foot flat to the floor and keep cranking. This will clear any excess fuel from the engine and get it back to a normal air/fuel ratio. Be aware of when the engine fires and get off the throttle quickly to prevent an over rev. It would appear that you have got a stuck needle & seat or a ruptured power valve. A ruptured valve will just pour fuel in but then the engine will be in a permanent rich condition and will not idle. Have you checked the float levels with the engine running?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it is flooding when you are trying to start it put your foot flat to the floor and keep cranking. This will clear any excess fuel from the engine and get it back to a normal air/fuel ratio. Be aware of when the engine fires and get off the throttle quickly to prevent an over rev. It would appear that you have got a stuck needle & seat or a ruptured power valve. A ruptured valve will just pour fuel in but then the engine will be in a permanent rich condition and will not idle. Have you checked the float levels with the engine running?

That ruptured power valve I haven't checked. Well, the engine doesn't run at all because of the flooding and I can't check the levels because I have the basic 600 Holley carb 4160 so you can't adjust it or check the levels which sucks.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
brass screw on side your carb does have this

Not my carb. hah. I wish it did. Some people I talked to were shocked I didn't have it. I have the brass one on top but it's pointless since it doesn't adjust.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Look on the choke horn, there should be a list number, what is it? Most likely you have a replacement 4160 like the 80457S which doesn't have externally adjustable floats.

Here's a link to show you where to find the list number.
Locating Holley Carb List Number

It is a non-adjustable carb, that's why I don't have those brass plugs to adjust outside the carb which sucks. I did do the adjustment to the floats and they are leveled now, the needle and seats were replaced as well.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This guy from JBA racing told me something about this carb and why it was made cheap and lots of problems. Just hoping this isn't the time to have this problems. Might even have to just rebuild the damn thing. I ended up buying new floats so we'll see if that helps or not. Such a disadvantage not having the site plugs or being adjustable. Might have to look for another carb.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
This guy from JBA racing told me something about this carb and why it was made cheap and lots of problems. Just hoping this isn't the time to have this problems. Might even have to just rebuild the damn thing. I ended up buying new floats so we'll see if that helps or not. Such a disadvantage not having the site plugs or being adjustable. Might have to look for another carb.
Holley makes a kit to replace the fuel bowls with bowls that have externally adjustable floats. I think it's $40-$50.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts