Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see lots of threads about gas tank replacement, so there must be a bunch of folks with old gas tanks out there. How'd you get rid of the old tank?

I just took the old gas I siphoned out a few months back to our county's "hazardous waste" disposal drop off. They won't take the empty tank. I was worried about just tossing it in the trash in case of gas fumes, didn't want to be responsible for blowing up a garbage truck.. Thanks, George

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would think you could take it to a junkyard. I would leave the tank out and let the fumes get out of the tank and just take it to the junkyard.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Try your local scrap metal yard. You may get a couple of $ for it also.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Man I wish I had an old tank, I would cut the top off of it to use as a template for trunk rebuilding. Ask around at any vintage car shops and clubs and see if anyone can use it.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
Man I wish I had an old tank, I would cut the top off of it to use as a template for trunk rebuilding. Ask around at any vintage car shops and clubs and see if anyone can use it.
Like this:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Friend of mine went at a tank that had been sitting outside for 6 months, washed out several times, couldn't even smell a hint of gas. When the cut-off wheel got the metal hot enough, even before it cut through, it exploded.

Please do not cut open used gas tanks.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
He forgot to fill the inside of the tank with inert gas...his mistake nearly cost him.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
Simple. Use a shear, not a hot wheel. A grinding wheel would take forever, anyway, a nibbler could cut the whole tank in about 90 seconds.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I made away with my old tank before I thought about using it for a template. When I got to putting in my trunk floors had to go get a new tank.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Fill it FULL of water and sawzall it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts