Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went outside to find gas dripping from my gas tank!! The car is in the street with 3/4 of a tank. I need a way to stop the leak now!!!

I'm going to try some JB Weld right now but i need other suggestions before I blow upo the neighborhood!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I dont know if JB weld will work wet. If you can see the leak maybe put a screw in the leak to seal it enough to keep it dry for the JB Weld.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One morning I awoke to my neighbor screaming at my front door about how the garage is flooded with gasoline. My tank had ruptured in the middle of the night and I tried everything I could think of plug the leak but ended up just draining the tank because I had to go to work. I ended up buying a new tank and installing it myself, which was rediculously easy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if this works or not but that conversation came up a
couple of weeks ago at work and one guy swears if you rub the
hole with a bar of soap it will plug it temporarily. No ga ron tees on this one.

·
Registered
657 Posts
A bar of soap. Old country remedy. The soap will fill the hole and seal the tank unless it is a huge hole.

·
Registered
21,689 Posts
I've soldered a couple of tanks myself. Just run the gas down, and drive the car up at an angle to stop it from leaking, clean and solder. I did this on my old Ranger 4 X 4.

My tank on my 66, was leaking also. I just pulled the drain plug out on the right side, drained the tank and removed it from the car and soldered it. It's held up fine for about 6 or 7 years now.

PM me if you need a big A$$ soldering iron.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The gas was leaking from around the area where the sending unit attaches. The leak was pretty bad.

JB Weld didn't work but the soap did!

I'm covered with JB Weld (in my hair too) and I got gas all over myself including in both eyes but I did get to look like McGyver in front of several neighbors and the mailman.

I made a big mess but after I clean myself and the trail of epoxy/grime/gas I left behind I'm off to the auto store. I hope the soap holds up until then.

Thanks for all the tips. I really appreciate it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well good for you!! and bad for me cause now i gotta go tell the dude who told me about
it and listen to him crow the rest of the day. but it's worth it.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Dave, for future use, if you know any local hazmat guys (FD), ask them what they use to slap on diesel tanks when trucks wreck out on the freeway...they have a special fast-acting putty that resists fuel and chemicals and helps control tank spills.

Saw them using it on TV last night in Dade county, FL on one of the reality cop/FD shows...

There are also fuel resistant epoxies that can make a permanent repair...check with your local Devcon supplier for more info...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
There is a putty-like epoxy product that will repair gas tanks. Used it many years ago to fix a gash occurring from a wreck. Worked fine for several years, then I sold the van.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sounds like you need a new seal. The only way to work on it is to drain the tank (hope you have a drain plug). I had the rubber hose that connects the sending unit to the fuel line start to leak. I had to drain the tank which had no drain plug. Check the condition of the tank, it might be worth it to replace the tank if it isn't real solid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.