Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have read, they changed from gas tanks with drains to those without sometime in early 1970. I have a May 29, 1970 built Mach 1 from the Dearborn plant. Any ideas which tank it should get? If it is the one without the drain, anybody know where to get one?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I'm pretty sure most vendors have them both ways.
Tim

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
My '69s were built in San Jose but the January built Grande has a gas tank with a plug and the May built SportsRoof did not have a plug. I'm thinking that the '70s did not have gas tanks with plugs, but I can be totally wrong.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My information has the drain plug going away late in 70. May production would be on the cusp, seeing that the plants shut down sometime around late August/September for model changeover. I was told the change was made in the interest of safety. I tried some years ago to get the manufacturer to run the 70 tanks in a version without the drain plug. It's just a matter of using the same lower half used in the 65-68 tanks, but at the time they weren't interested. I ought to pursue it again and see if they'll do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts