Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why does it need cleaning? If it's been sitting for awhile and is rusty you're probably better off just replacing it. Tanks aren't that expensive, and if it's gunked up inside and you keep using it you might spend the next year troubleshooting clogs in fuel filters, clogged up pumps, etc. Ask me how I know... :p

Also if you don't mind giving up a little trunk space you can replace the old one w/ a 22 gallon tank so you don't need to fill up as often.

·
Premium Member
5,546 Posts
This opinion will be shared by many who know here at VMF. Get a new one. They are inexpensive and a very important part of your car that should not be taken lightly.

Here's one that was cleaned out and you can clearly see the inner corrosion it revealed. (Corrosion = Weakened.)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I have a one off tank for a 70 with emissions. I had it red leaded in 1992. They told me it would only last 10 yrs. its still going

but i didnt have a choice as i wanted to keep it original. better off just get a new Canadian one from NPD

·
Premium Member
12,933 Posts
What is the best method to clean 68 gas tank
first of all, as everyone is saying, just get a new tank. the only exception to that would be if there is some historical significance to your car that would be harmed if the original gas tank is removed. Chances are, the tank isn't original anyway.

If you absolutely have to keep the tank, don't coat it. I've seen literally hundreds of gas tanks, motorcycle and auto, that had one of the popular, and expensive gas tank coating treatments done to it. Without exception, they ALL eventually fail, and begin to de-laminate from the metal and then you are much worse off than before. NO ONE is making a coating treatment that lasts, if they tell you differently, they are flat out lying.

The only treatment I use if a gas tank can't be replaced, usually on vintage motorcycles, is an electrolysis process that deposits a hard and durable phosphate coating on the inside of the tank that is only a few microns thick.

briefly, you fill up the tank with a solution of water and washing soda. get a battery charger and connect the negative clamp to the outside bare tank metal. Attach the positive clamp to a sacrificial anode, a ferrous rod, iron or steel, not stainless steel, and insert it into the tank into the liquid solution, making sure not to contact the metal of the tank.

turn on the battery charger and some nasty black vile sh*t will start bubbling out of the tank and in a few hours the rust will be gone and the phosphate coating will remain.

rinse out the tank with hot water and blow it 100% dry with a hair blow dryer.

The down side of this treatment is that it's very hard on battery chargers. In the process of restoring about 50 vintage motorcycle tanks, I went thru 4 NAPA chargers one summer at a vintage motorcycle repair / restoration shop where I worked in Austin. After the 4th charger died, the guys at NAPA refused to exchange the burnt out charger for a new one and gave me a refund.

They very politely asked me to go somewhere else for my battery charger business. I'm they are still wondering how I burned up their nice battery chargers.

Z

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
evaporust works pretty good, but I've never tried it on a gas tank.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Wow! Amazing information I've learned on this website. Just thinking how I solved problems before the internet. Besides shop manuals, I used to go around town and bug mechanics discreetly if I saw them standing outside taking a break. Was a lot easier to do when I was a teenager obviously with no money.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Tanks

I've swapped all my early car with a 22 gal tank, even my old 68 6 cyl beater. All you need to do is cut 2" off the filler neck and use the stock rubber hose connector- not one of those expensive "swap kits"! The 70 tank has been in my 64 since 1992 and never had problems and that's almost 400,000 miles of driving. With OD, my range is usually close to 500 miles. When I had my shop, we did dozens of these swaps. Even my 65 K GT FB has one!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Best Method?? Buy a new one!

If the original tank has any rust inside or outside... Chuck it and buy a new one... Today's Replacement Gas tanks are built as well or even better than the Originals..

I would only buy American Designers Brand or Scott Drake's both sold by NPD...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm also looking for a replacement tank for my '68 GT/CS. I live in Hawaii, so shipping costs can be quite expensive. (We call it "the price of paradise"). Looking on Amazon, I found the following Spectra replacement tank that has free shipping (Amazon Prime). Can anyone comment on the quality of these tanks vs. what's available from NPD? (Note: this is a replacement for the stock tank, and NOT the EFI tank).

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-F28A-Fuel-Mercury/dp/B000C7TW5A/ref=sr_1_3?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1544907008&sr=8-3&keywords=1968+mustang+fuel+tank&refinements=p_85:2470955011

Mahalo,

Harry Z

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm also looking for a replacement tank for my '68 GT/CS. I live in Hawaii, so shipping costs can be quite expensive. (We call it "the price of paradise"). Looking on Amazon, I found the following Spectra replacement tank that has free shipping (Amazon Prime). Can anyone comment on the quality of these tanks vs. what's available from NPD? (Note: this is a replacement for the stock tank, and NOT the EFI tank).

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-F28A-Fuel-Mercury/dp/B000C7TW5A/ref=sr_1_3?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1544907008&sr=8-3&keywords=1968+mustang+fuel+tank&refinements=p_85:2470955011

Mahalo,

Harry Z
Did you call and ask NPD what is the brand of tank they sell? It may be Spectra.

·
Registered
652 Posts
As said above, it's often cheaper and more convenient to replace the entire tank. Keep in mind you can get extra capacity by stepping up to the 22 gallon tank. CJ and others sell complete conversion kits. I bought one and it'll be nice to have the extra range. Link below:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/fuel-tank-conversion-kit-22-gallon-1965-1966/p/FTK14/?year=1965&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6dLgBRDoARIsAJgoM4uGgpgW_PAegFBJwUC78zfJ44MYBYvT7hx6knKeYRuB3KthscHuxs4aAmJYEALw_wcB

If you don't want to replace the sender, etc. you can keep the original. It'll just show "full" longer on your gauge.

Alex

1 - 12 of 12 Posts