Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So putting in the higher octane/more oxygenated gas makes your car run better (?), but does it actually do good things for the car? I suppose some gas companies say it actually cleans your engine like texaco, but I figured I would ask around.

PS. 4 months and counting in my fiber glass [email protected]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No.

Unless you are going to change the tuning, adding octane does nothing.

The octane slows down the flame front of the ignited mixture, which can eliminate or reduce knocking.

If you are already tuned to use low octane fuel, using better gas does nothing without changing your cars state of tune.

If you are tuned for high octane fuel, using low octane fuel without changing the state of tune of your engine, you can have significant (or just minor) problems.

For a light discussion on octane, look here.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm

Running one of the "cleaning" fuels might be a reasonable thing to do occasionally, but you wouldn't have to do this regularly. Personally, in my EFI car, I just add some injector cleaner every few months.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Selection for the higher octane is dependent on your compression ratio. This will establish you octane number, to be used. U need to tune engine, timing, air/fuel ratio and so on.
Just change fuel octane would not do anything significant.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that on my Snowmobile being such finacky little POS's premium fuel runs a whole lot better on stock jetting and have notives less carbon biuld-up with premium Fuel. Running oxygenated fuels in a sled is a bigg no no. they will melt a before you even get a mile from the gas station. I know they arent Four strokes but all gasoline motors run all about the same.

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
There is no more energy stored in higher octane gas than lower octane gas. It does not perform better. It does not get better mileage. It does not burn cleaner.

The only reason to use higher octane gas is if the engine requires it because of higher compression and the engine will ping using lower octane gas.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Higher octane *does* have better additives to the gas, which in turn is better for your engine.

Also, ever notice how the cheap stuff will jelly up if not moved for many months, but the premium wont.... kinda proves something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts