Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Gas wanting to spill out when filling up at the Gas Station?

9K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Klutch 
#1 ·
Is the above heading an issue that just I have. My car is a stock fuel tank and fill neck setup in a 1968 Mustang. Every time I go for fuel I literally have to trickle the fuel in or it spills out. Is this common or just me?

#3 ·
It's common with the Mustang because there is no vent and the filler nozzle is so much larger then the tank filler neck that the anti splash function of the nozzle doesn't work. I know about how much to put in my tank by where the gauge is, but I can always hear it coming up the filler pipe as it's getting more full and I start putting it in a little at a time until I can see it, then I stop.

Reactions: DrVett
#5 ·
Look at the bright side! With the location of gas filler on these early Mustangs right in the center of the tail light panel, you can park on either side of the gas island and get fuel. (y)

#6 · (Edited)
As @myfirstcar66 stated, it is a known issue. There was once someone making a modified filler neck to help with this issue on the classic mustangs, but it was done by hand so not many were made.

Edit: Read the next response, @Mach1 Driver has the correct link.

#7 ·
Well I never heard of the upside down nozzel, but yes my 69 vomited fuel on me nearly every time I filled it up for nearly 50 years- until I finally did something about it. There are various fixes, and most of them involve modifications to the fill pipe. I added a late model flapper, some people weld in baffles, or crush a baffle to size and peen the outside of the pipe to hold them in place. The detailed versions of this fix just can't be uploaded to this site because it is too restrictive. I suggest you go Stangfix or 69Stang and do a search for
Stop fuel spills- filler neck modification

#9 ·
I have had my 68 for 40 years and have always had the same issue. I have just put the gas in at a slow rate and have dealt with it. Look forward to hear more responses. The picture of the nozzle standing upright is from a newer model and from a side filler position. Don't think this would work on ours as angle is much different and the trunk lid would get in the way

#19 ·
Here is the 69stang thread. Doug "stangs-R-me" sells either the kit, or complete filler.

I bought a kit from him back in November and it helped a lot, but being in CA he had to make a slight modification for me.

#13 ·
Too short I think because the fuel tank itself was taller and you'd have to use a really long filler hose I'm still not sure if the angle would be right

#14 ·
No need to modify parts or turn the filler upside-down. Just turn the filler about 30 degrees to the right so the fuel "swirls" down the pipe.
I had the same issue for the first week I owned the car until I tried this. I've owned the car since 2004 and since I've been practicing the afore-mentioned method, it's never occurred again to this very day.

Reactions: P-51 and kechke
#17 ·
My 67 fills better if I rotate the nozzle clockwise so that the end of the nozzle is pointed a little bit towards the driver's side. Probably the same 30? that FrankieThe69Kid is using.

It's not perfect, and you can't just click the handle on and walk away, but it usually works and it's free so it works for me.

#18 ·
I also turn the nozzle roughly 30 degrees or so. And I make sure I get it as far in the filler neck as I can, pump at about half speed, watch how many gallons are going in because I know roughly how much should fit based on the gauge, listen for the sound to change indicating its almost full and slow down even more, and never trust the auto-stop. I also always wedge some paper towels under the the nozzle to catch any gas that might splash out at the end because it still happens from time to time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.