Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove the coupe to work today and damm near got gased .

It has always had a bit of exhaust leak into the cab, but this is dangerous ! I felt like a 4X2 during WW2.

In Summer with windows down and vents open it's OK . But with it buttoned up for winter (yes its winter here) she sucks it in big time . My eyes are stinging and I stink of exhaust fumes .I had the problem before but I though I had it beat. Wrong!!!

Exhuast system is new , the boot lid (trunk)doesn't sit all that well but I'm sure it seals . I've put a light in the boot and adjusted the boot lid and rubber seal so no light is showing and filled up every little nock and cranny and hole where light shows through the floor and seems etc.

What else ??? This is really BAD HELP

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
i have heard fumes could come in the shift boot if it is torn

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
there is a rubber boot at the shift lever with an auto also, someone had just posted recently about the airflow through that area and how it changes with the windows up or down

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah , I saw that , I will check that out thanks . If I can't fix it , I'm tipping the bloody thing out .

Any body else got any ideas ??

·
Registered
21,367 Posts
John, where do you tail pipe exit? Remember, as you drive along, there's a vacuum behind the car. That could be sucking the fumes into the car.

Winter heh, bummer! What's the temps like now?

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
If plugging the shifter boot does not solve the problem you might try putting some temporary extensions on the exhaust tips to get them out another inch or two as a test.

It could also be coming from the engine compartment, although this is less likely. Are all of the holes into the cab plugged at the firewall?

Is the seal at the back of the hood intact? If this seal is not there the smells and heat from the engine compartment will get sucked right into the cowl vent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts