Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting the finishing touches on the 351W conversion in JBStang's '66. Engine in car, oil in crank case, raditator hooked up, intake on. I put water in raditator and it comes out around the intake manifold on the pass. side and the front pass side intake bolt. I re-check the torque. O-K. Try again. Leaks. Loosen all intake bolts and re-torque slowly to 23 lbs. Still leaks. It even filled #1 with antifreeze. Take off intake and the ends of one side gasket are wet with the center dry. Heads have been planned. I drained the oil and am about to vaccuum out the cylinder.

1) Wrong gasket? (Bolts all line up, but there is a cut out that extends below the head. Shouldn't allow water to even get there though...)
2) Warped intake? (shouldn't be).
3)?????
Parts house out of stock on gasket set. Will get new set in the AM.

Very frustrated JB /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
923 Posts
You didn't say anything about silicone around the water passages when installing the intake manifold?
No RTV sealant and they would leak?
Did you do this?
Did you use good quality gaskets? I.E. expensive?
Dave

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Is it possible you had the intake off center just a pinch or so? If not take a straight edge to the intake and check for warpage. I am not a fan of silicone unless its absolutely necessary. Again, as stated above make sure you are using good quality gaskets.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went out and re-installed with gasket sealant. No leaks. Just hope it holds up under pressure now.
About to install the dist., batt. and other wiring. Getting closer. Wish me luck! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

JB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts