Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who are we bombing now? The lady at the station I frequent said she saw the futures board at the distributer and it will continue to go up. Oh well!!! it was fun while it lasted...

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Except for the 62 there are no secondaries in my small fleet. Everything else is fuel injected...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Holy Smoke!! I just paid a $1.35 for premium and griped about that!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
$1.32 for a US GALLON? It is 74 cents a litre here and it takes 4 litres to make one US gallon. 4.54 for an Imperial gallon which used to be our measure. And that is regular.
The last time I seen the premium price it was up around 91 cents a litre. And there are gas wells within a days drive..Figure that out. Mind you Duke Energy probably owns them like everything else up this way.
Don

·
Registered
657 Posts
Youch!!!! You have my DEEPEST sympathies. You need to move "south of the border" my friend!! Or convert to battery/hydrogen power

·
Registered
657 Posts
Well at a $1.35 and probably 16 mpg I am doing a little better...but not much. And I agree....who cares! Worth every penny. Well...except for maybe today when I got caught on the interstate with my top down and a torrential downpour started with no place stop or get off!! That was somewhat of a downer. ;-)

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,994 Posts
I read an interesting essay on mileage once. The writer claimed trading in your good old gas guzzler for a brand new gas sipper was economically unsound.
I enjoyed it since I think that way anyway. He made some good points. Your old car is paid for, simpler for the owner to maintain himself, cheaper parts are more widely available, and it has depreciated out. In the case of a classic car, it is likely appreciating.
A brand new, say Civic, runs what? $18,000. You'll finance it, so your out the money on interest. Even if it's never been driven it loses at least $3000 in depreciation as soon as you sign the paperwork. Unless you are a factory trained Honda technician, you don't know how to work on the thing. Likely the $50 an hour dealership mechanics are the only ones that do. Since you financed it, you have to carry full coverage insurance. Figure sales tax immediately and property tax yearly.
I probably forgot something but if you sit down and compare real figures you can come up with interesting results.
If the new Civic got 100 miles a gallon and the old Mustang got 5 miles a gallon, you'd STILL be money ahead EVERY year for at least 8 years. Cool , huh.
Of course there are lots more variables according to where you, what exact cars you figure, what insurance you carry, etc,etc. It still works.
Of course all this adds up to a really good justification/rationalization for driving an old clunker. Not that my car's a clunker or anything. Really. Well, not TOO clunky.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I just paid 1.55 for mid grade.

I figured even by switching to a T-5 and seeing my highway milage go from 13 to 19 mpg I will not pay for the T-5 in gas savings. Well then again... I could have invested the 2k back in November and it would have ballooned into...1.2k now./forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Try $1.71 a gallon here in the North bay area, CA

it sucks.....but theres an arco station just north of san rafael
that gives it out at $1.56

hey pretty much expose the hypocrisy of all the other gas vendors....I fill there as much as I can....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts