Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lol, well it seems like ive had that many problems so far. Well, this time the car backfires through the carb... but my timing is only about 6 degrees advanced.... ????? I jumped on the gas for the first time tonight, and it just coughs... then kinda catches up with itself, but it still doesnt seem like its running right. Any ideas? Man... id still be trying to figure out how a door opens without this website!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,831 Posts
Any number of things could be a problem. Start with the simple stuff. Are you absolutely sure all the spark plug wires are on the correct plugs? You might have two switched, check them. Is the coil wired right? + side of the ignition coil should be connected back to the harness, the - side goes to the distributor.
In both cases it's possible to start and run the car pretty well, but it will cough and sputter when you try to rev it up and go.
Beyond that, you'll want to look into the timing, whether the vacuum advance is correctly connected (ported vacuum), clogged fuel filter, and lastly the carburetor itself.
That should give you starting points. Be sure to watch out for other stuff, a vacuum line you forgot, loose wires, stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, i know its something to do with the carb. I had a 650 on there before and it just wasnt enough. It revves just fine when its in park, but when your moving it coughs whenever you romp on the gas. As i said before, it was perfect with the 650, no backfires no coughs, nothing. So what inside the carb itself would cause it to cough? I know my secondaries are out of adjustment, but would it make that happen?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,831 Posts
Well that narrows it down. You might do a search on "hesitation" and see what comes up. I've seen a bunch of posts on this problem and it's kind of amazing how many solutions. Most common is enriching the accelerator pump, moving the linkage on it on most carbs (depending on whether you have an Autolite, Carter, Holley?)
I don't have a lot of confidence in the search function, one time I couldn't turn up one of my own posts. Mostly it works pretty well though. If you can't find anything, post again with with a subject like "How to cure hesitation with a Holley 650 (or Edelbrock or whatever it is). There's lots of folks here who know a LOT more than I do about carb problems. Good luck. I'll be keeping an eye out to see what it turns out to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts