Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Gauge Choices

522 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  BillScott 
#1 ·
Ok Here is a question. What guage would be best for reading the coolant temp? I have seen some digitals and some analogs. But I am torn between which would be best. Would the Digital be more accurate? Your thoughts and experience are welcome!

G
#2 ·
i wish i had either on mine(idoit lights F***IN BLOW)but i would go with the anolog ones are cheaper and temp is mostly range than exact if you running around 180 its good and almost the same as 181.02 the only reson i would buy is the looks either classic or racing anolog or futuristic digital many more choces for anolog than digital

#3 ·
I like analog for the same reason racers do. Once you get used to where your guages normally run, it only takes a split second glance at the set to see if everything's OK. You sort of have a picture in your head, if the the guages don't match your "picture" then you'll look again to see which one is different. If you have all digital guages you have to look long enough to read the numbers. Analog guages are usually accurate enough, you don't really need the temp to the exact degree do you?

#4 ·
i have an Autometer analog gauge, but it is not the simple C and H, it has temp readings in numeric value. it's sorta the best of both worlds, i just glance at the gauge and know where it is supposed to be and also i can check it at stop lights and see how much it goes up. and it looks pretty much stock.

G
#5 ·
Digital:
More accurate.

Analog:
Easier to read at a glance.

Also...it is much easier to gauge rate of change (which is important for things like temp) with an analog gauge. I'd much rather have an analog.

On my car with a Turbo boost gauge, I have a combination Analog/Digital. It is an electronic unit, but has an analog and digital gauge readout so that I can read it quickly, figure rate of change, and if I want, get a very accurate display of the boost pressure.

Slade

#6 ·
digital units are not necessarily more accurate. the most accurate device would be a high quality analog unit that used most expensive sensor availaable. to make a digital unit you take that sensors output and digitize that by an analogue to digital converter which always has a least significant bit uncertainty and shows up as absolute error - thus you would find accuracy spec that said you digital device would be a % (due to other errors) +/- LSB (least significant bit) which could be 1/4/ degree. the analogue meter using same sensor would have the same % value (using same sensor) but would not have the +\- LSB. jfor measuring temperature of your coolant or whatever it does not mater - a $3 candy making thermometer from Walmart is plenty good enough. hope this is not too tutorial - did not intend it to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.