Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came across this video on YouTube where the person replacing his cluster had made a plug system so it's easier to install/remove instead of having to mess with each wire individually.

Has anyone done this? If so, any tips or pointers?

Here is the video, it looks pretty neat/easy but with old Mustang wiring, I wonder if it is truly that easy:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have done this. It truly is nice when you go to pull the cluster and you can just disconnected as a unit. One thing I would urge would be to add an extra foot a wiring so you can pull the cluster out and then disconnect your plug or you can disconnect it from under the Dash . I just coil up the extra wire under the dash. Also, all of my gauges are aftermarket so I don't have to use anything from the original wiring harness.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Probably wouldn't do it on factory wiring, but if you are replacing the harness, or have a reason to be removing your instrument cluster, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Use something like the Molex connectors, There are lots of individual pieces you will need to buy to complete the plugs, and possibly some specialized tools. I use Weatherpack connectors for protecting the connections from the elements but for under the dash, you wouldn't need that, unless you have a leaky cowl.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The 67's have disconnects like that from the factory. There are 3 of them instead of just the one but it makes it pretty easy to get the dash out.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Similar story here - rewired the car with AAW kit and we added connectors (one one but several) so that you can remove the whole cluster (gauges, bezel, rear metal housing) as one piece. I have not had to remove it but good to know I can if needed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do this on every car I build. Much easier to remove/replace the cluster without scratching the dash and steering column.

Painless Performance makes plugs/receptacles in various pin counts that are very nice and not that expensive. This is a 15 pin example:

WeatherPak connectors would work fine, too. But they are more expensive and you don't need sealed connectors under the dash.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
6" Assembled Black Deutsch 2,3,4,6,8,12 Pin,14 AWG waterproof connector wire

This is what you are needing. I used one when putting in my gauges.

That's a good price on those Deutsh connectors. The kits to assemble them are around $150.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I did it on my 65 and glad I did. I put one connector for the wiring on one side of the speedometer, and did the same on the other side. Definitely easier getting the instrument panel out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've done this on both my cars. My advice is to take you time, solder all connections, use shrink tubing and zip ties to make it tidy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts