Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Gauge Cluster wires with plugs for easy removal?

6K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  JohnnyK 
#1 ·
So I came across this video on YouTube where the person replacing his cluster had made a plug system so it's easier to install/remove instead of having to mess with each wire individually.

Has anyone done this? If so, any tips or pointers?

Here is the video, it looks pretty neat/easy but with old Mustang wiring, I wonder if it is truly that easy:

#2 ·
I have done this. It truly is nice when you go to pull the cluster and you can just disconnected as a unit. One thing I would urge would be to add an extra foot a wiring so you can pull the cluster out and then disconnect your plug or you can disconnect it from under the Dash . I just coil up the extra wire under the dash. Also, all of my gauges are aftermarket so I don't have to use anything from the original wiring harness.

#3 ·
Probably wouldn't do it on factory wiring, but if you are replacing the harness, or have a reason to be removing your instrument cluster, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Use something like the Molex connectors, There are lots of individual pieces you will need to buy to complete the plugs, and possibly some specialized tools. I use Weatherpack connectors for protecting the connections from the elements but for under the dash, you wouldn't need that, unless you have a leaky cowl.

#7 ·
I do this on every car I build. Much easier to remove/replace the cluster without scratching the dash and steering column.

Painless Performance makes plugs/receptacles in various pin counts that are very nice and not that expensive. This is a 15 pin example:

WeatherPak connectors would work fine, too. But they are more expensive and you don't need sealed connectors under the dash.

#8 ·
Reactions: 66Ccode
#9 ·
6" Assembled Black Deutsch 2,3,4,6,8,12 Pin,14 AWG waterproof connector wire

This is what you are needing. I used one when putting in my gauges.

That's a good price on those Deutsh connectors. The kits to assemble them are around $150.

#13 ·
I've got one of these I did not use:

Plus a bunch of correct color wiring. If you're interested shoot me a private message and we can work something out.

#15 ·
I would not buy the preassembled Deutsch connectors. I would just buy an amazon crimper for about $30 (I use it, it's fine) and then Deutsch kits. That way you aren't still splicing and heat shrinking but instead installing the terminals directly. Much cleaner and simpler, and less splice/failure points.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.