Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my 66 dash gauges don't work at this point. I have checked the are all plugged in and the only one that moves is the volt gauge.

I have installed a mechanical water temp and oil pressure gauges under the dash on the little 3 gauge mount. But I need a fuel gauge of some kind so I know how much fuel I have before I have none and the engine tells me.

From what I have found out there is a chance the voltage regulator on the back of the cluster is bad but it could be all my gauges just broken. So for the sake of time I'm thinking I can drop a fuel gauge under the dash like the other two and run a wire from the trunk area to my sending unit.

The sending unit is new so I assume it works but been bit before with that logic, so assuming it works any suggest a gauge?

The gauges I'm running now are Bosch 2" that look like this one.
But I can't find the Bosch white that works for Ford so thinking this one.

I might be changing my gauges out because I was hoping I could get some aftermarket gauges the same size as the ones in the dash and just drop them in place but that is proving harder than I would like. So just mounting under dash for now as I need something that works for now but I can fix later.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
If your fuel, temp and oil pressure gauges all do not work, it is probably your IVR (instrument voltage regulator) or bad ground. The IVR is the little rectangular box just to the left of the speedo below.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I'm thinking too. Cj has them for $40 plus shipping but I hear a lot of bad about them in the last few months.

And if that doesn't fix it im out of time. Need to have the car drive able next weekend so I have leaned away from ordering it. So I was thinking a quick fix is a gauge.

I could try to reground that box and see what it does.

·
4,715 Posts
Also from NPD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts