Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got in my pillar pods. I was thinking of using one for a tach and the other for a volt meter. What do ya'll think of these choices? I just have the standard gauges now. I want to get black face meters to match the dash. Any suggestions? :)

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Oil pressure instead of voltage? Or maybe water temp. The most important items should be in the most prominent location.

If you already have a good oil and water temp gauge, then voltage is good to have. I don't like the ammeter but that's because I was not bright enough to tie back the wiring so it wouldn't melt the insulation on the header and cause a fire when it shorted.

Oops.

Dean T

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
I don't see the point in a tach that will fir in a pillar pod. ::
I find my rally pac to be pretty useless and it's bigger than what you can get in there.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
For standard '68 guages, which means you already have the oil pressure, water temp, and ammeter guages. Oil pressure is pretty much a go/no guage, i.e., if you lose oil pressure, you lose oil pressure. Its the most improtant thing to monitor, but you already have it. Same for the voltmeter, you typically look at it to see if the system is charging.
In-dash water temp guages tend to be innacurate, and water temp is something you may want to monitor more closely than others, especially if cruising in the summer.
With the stock guage set that you already have, I'd probably go with the water temp guage. You can at least do a much better job of knowing when you are about to overheat.
As always,if your oil pressure guage says 0, you'd better be shutting the motor off to see what's up.
Tach works for me, since you don't already have it, but for a pillar mounted guage pod, its pretty hard to watch for shift points.
If you went with an in-dash tach, go with oil pressure and voltmeter.

Carl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts