Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well lets start with the oil pressure,its reading 0,screwed in a manual gauge at the motor and it reads
55lbs.I put in two new senders and it still reads 0.I replaced the cvr still,0.The temp gauge is on 170
whether the car is hot or cold.The tach reads 0 the gauges are aftermarket the ignition is MSD.
The only things that do work are the volt gauge
and the lights for them.so today Im going to radioshack to get a new CVR .Is anybody here using one from there? How does it
wire?I noticed that it has 3 leads coming from it.I hoping for a more constant volatage than from the
old style CVR's.What else can I check? HELP ME PLEASE!!! Also does the CVR need to be grounded?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Have you checked your instrument panel guage? Take the wire loose from the oil pressure sending unit and use a jumper to connect the wire to ground, a piece of the shock tower or engine block should be handy. You are shorting your guage to ground. Turn the key on, not the engine, your guage should go all the way over, peg the needle to high. If this happens, you know your guage is working. I would also check and clean your ground wires. The negative battery terminal, and there should be one running from the block to the firewall. Did you use teflon tape installing the sending unit? Possibly it could be intefering with the sending unit getting a good ground. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Since you are not likely an electronics technician, my advice is to stick with the OEM style IVR. The modern type is better but you need to have an electronics background to select the right EVR and to install it correctly. It doesn't look the same and does not have terminals attached that match up to your wiring harness.

·
Registered
37,783 Posts
Check and see if your CVR is getting a feed. I believe the feed comes from a BLK/GRN wire from the Ignition Switch "A" terminal, and branches out the CVR, T/S flasher, voltage regulator "S" terminal, etc. If the CVR is getting fed 12V, and your gauges are being fed voltage = to the CVR output, and the wiring to the senders and senders themselves are good, gauges should work. Previous post suggests shorting gauge to ground (sender side) to check, good idea too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts